GR2100 mower installation

/ GR2100 mower installation #1  

popeye49

Tractor
Kubota GR2100
My used GR2100 came with the mulch kit installed. While it does a very nice job of making the clippings disappear, it seems no matter how dry the grass is, the rear tires load up with grass. If the grass is wet at all, the tires really load up & spin the grass onto the top of the mower deck. So I've decided to remove the huge mulch plug underneath the deck (it goes across the entire front of the deck) and go back to mowing the way I always have. I might make up my own mulch plug, just to cover the side discharge, for the leaves in the fall.

Has anyone experienced trying to remove the mulch plug while the deck is installed? I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove the deck & blades in order to be able to remove the plug. Also, has anyone got a tip on the easiest way to reinstall the PTO universal (drive shaft), while pulling back on the collar? Seems like a difficult reach.

/ GR2100 mower installation #2  
Easiest way to handle the much kit is to remove the deck.Yes,the rear coupling is a real PITA. I remove the bolt on the front coupler and slide the shaft back from the deck transmission.Then fasten the shaft up out of the way to pull the deck out.

Sequence for deck removal;

Lift deck up and set height adjuster all the way down.

Remove front hitch and pull rear pins.

Disconnect shaft

Start tractor and raise lift arms.

Slide deck out.

/ GR2100 mower installation
Thanks for the advice. I thought I read somewhere on the web about removing the metal panel on the rear of the tractor and reaching in from the rear. I don't know if a person could get both arms in from the rear to pull back on the ring, though. I stumbled on the info, and had to leave it, so didn't get it bookmarked. I don't even remember what website it was on, and have searched again for it, and have not been able to locate it. Kind of makes me wonder if I just imagined it. LOL

/ GR2100 mower installation #4  
I tried that and it wasn't any better.Still a one-handed attempt.I still pull the shaft off completely about every 3rd time to grease and oil it up good.

I don't plan to pull the deck until cooler weather. By any chance did you try putting the tractor's rear end on jack stands and pulling the left rear tire? That would seem to give better access. I'm familiar with a pto on a larger tractor & pulling on the ring. How strong is the spring on this little shaft? Can you pull the ring back with the fingers & slide the shaft on all with the same hand, or is it a two handed job like the larger tractor? I have a rear mount snow blower for my larger tractor, which doesn't have a ring on the shaft, but sort of a single push button release. I never have any trouble installing this one quick and easy. I suppose more companies using this type of release would make things too easy for the end user.

/ GR2100 mower installation #6  
It's easier with the rear tire removed,but that's more work.No way to get both hands on the rear coupling,must be done with one hand. The whole problem is jamming your shoulder in between the tire and the deck so you can reach back far enough.The side push pin you mention would be a big help.

I guess this sounds foolish, but if it has to be a one hand job, I'm curious as to why it's easier for you to reach up underneath the tractor? It's a long reach with the left hand. It would seem like it would be easier to reach in from the back of the tractor with your right hand (unless you're a "lefty"). Is it just easier to retract the ring that way & push the shaft on, and more difficult to do the same from the rear?

Last edited:
   / GR2100 mower installation #8  
I guess this sounds foolish, but if it has to be a one hand job, I'm curious as to why it's easier for you to reach up underneath the tractor? It's a long reach with the left hand. It would seem like it would be easier to reach in from the back of the tractor with your right hand (unless you're a "lefty"). Is it just easier to retract the ring that way & push the shaft on, and more difficult to do the same from the rear?

You can try from the back.I didn't think it was easier,plus the extra step of removing the back panel and putting it back on.

OK. Thanks. I appreciate your advice.