gr2100 PTO/transmission issue

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #11  
Glad to hear it!

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #12  
Boy, that's good news jmsmbry, sounds like Kubota might have a conscious. I'm still waiting on word about mine. Seems my problem might be in a different category, leaking at the PTO shaft, instead of down at the wheels?

riverwatcher

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #13  
Jmsmbry good to hear Kubota is a little flexible. I just encountered a problem with my GR2100 purchased new 7/2005 (206hrs) leaking fluid from the seal on the power input shaft. I got a call from my Kubota dealer today. They said even though I am out of the extended warranty period they are pressing Kubota for a complete upgrade due to the low hrs on the mower and the poor design. Kubota is pushing back noting the warranty has expired and the leaky seal doesn稚 merit a rebuild. My dealer is going to press them again tomorrow to possibly pony up some assistance.. I will keep you posted the outcome.

ed

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #14  
Well, I found out yesterday that my problem wasn't at the PTO shaft but the input shaft. I really couldn't see up that high, and with all the fluid around the PTO I just made the assumtion that was the culprit. The ball bearing holding the input spline shaft failed, the bearing was so loose that it looked like the wrong size balls were used, any way they said the input shaft was wabbling so bad that the rubber seal around the spline shaft failed, and that's why all the fluid.

So now I'm wondering if it was a bad bearing or is there a design problem that will keep occurring? If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate some feedback.

riverwatcher

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #15  
riverwatcher, my GR is still in the shop. I decided to have the transmission upgrade kit installed while replacing the input shaft seal. I figured while they are inside it they might as well take care of potential future problem. So far no word on if Kubota will assist in picking up any of the costs yet. They are saying the input seal failure didn稚 merit a tranny rebuild. I am not expecting too much from them since I am out of the 4 year limit. Hopefully they take care of your problem without grief?

ed

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #16  
eaf, I wish you the best of luck. I wasn't aware of the trans. upgrade kit, thats good to know for the next problem that comes up. So far the dealer has been great with the issues I've had, but I gather from him that there is not alot of sympathy from Kubota, for instance the new input bearing came by snail-mail instead of express, and the grass keeps growing.

riverwatcher

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #17  
Well, I found out yesterday that my problem wasn't at the PTO shaft but the input shaft. I really couldn't see up that high, and with all the fluid around the PTO I just made the assumtion that was the culprit. The ball bearing holding the input spline shaft failed, the bearing was so loose that it looked like the wrong size balls were used, any way they said the input shaft was wabbling so bad that the rubber seal around the spline shaft failed, and that's why all the fluid.

So now I'm wondering if it was a bad bearing or is there a design problem that will keep occurring? If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate some feedback.

riverwatcher

I think your tractor has around 250hrs on it.How many times have you shot some oil on the joints of the pto shaft and greased the splines?

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #18  
locknut, I haven't done any of that, BUT, I took it in to the dealer for the 50hr and 200hr service. It looks like the U-joints are sealed bearings, and I can see your point on the PTO spline because of the up and down of the mower deck, but it was the Input shaft bearing that went out. Would there be that much end play to require lubrication on that spline?

riverwatcher

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #19  
locknut, I haven't done any of that, BUT, I took it in to the dealer for the 50hr and 200hr service. It looks like the U-joints are sealed bearings, and I can see your point on the PTO spline because of the up and down of the mower deck, but it was the Input shaft bearing that went out. Would there be that much end play to require lubrication on that spline?

riverwatcher

Wouldn't think there would be any play in the main driveshaft.The book says to grease it-dont know how one would go about doing that-have to take the deck off to even see it.

As it's high up,would the tranny fluid level come in to play here?

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #20  
Another maintenance item I did recently was change the fluid out on the front axle @ 150hrs.From the looks of the fluid(dark gray-silvery looking) I should have done it sooner.Removed the glidesteer cable on the right side to access the dipstick better.Used premium trans/hydraulic fluid from TSC that was on hand in leiu of SUDT.