Grade 8 shear bolt confirmed!

/ Grade 8 shear bolt confirmed! #61  
Jim,
Your response addresses the reason I posted above. I'm looking for "specific" applications for which the data is not readily available.
My intention is to test the shear strength with the bolt in tension, as would be normal with a shear bolt under "most" circumstances.
As far as the 2 point shear of which you refer too, my past tests indicate this will equate to an approximate increase of 105% of a single point shear, provided the shear bolt is the same diameter at both shear points.

Jim and All,
Anything else we could take into consideration with either this test or a subsequent test to help someone out?

/ Grade 8 shear bolt confirmed! #62  
Actually, there is another consideration I have been interested in. Most bolts do not shear from an initial impact, but rather an accumulation of impacts that first begin to deform, then finally shear, particularly in rotary cutter applications. This means that it takes a progressively smaller load to result in shear failure. How will that be factored into your study?

/ Grade 8 shear bolt confirmed! #63  
I'm guessing he is going to have to only look at single shearing forces great enough to shear the bolt in a single event.. not accumulated effects of multiple events. As you point out.. as the bolt is incrementally deformed.. working diameter and geometry are changed.. stress cracks may/have formed, etc.. lots of variables in the incremental shear scenerio's

Soundguy