% Grade vs Degrees

/ % Grade vs Degrees #11  
Looks to me like everybody got it right, but jinman and RobS figure it the way I would. I'd probably never remember "inverse tan" and Chili's method even though you get the same result. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ % Grade vs Degrees #12  
Looks to me like everybody got it right, but jinman and RobS figure it the way I would. I'd probably never remember "inverse tan" and Chili's method even though you get the same result. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ % Grade vs Degrees
I always see that "5% Grade Ahead" sign going through Virginia at Fancy Gap. That's when they start putting the "Runaway Truck" escape ramps along the road. It seems like it's steeper than that but I guess not.
Thanks fellas,
John

/ % Grade vs Degrees
I always see that "5% Grade Ahead" sign going through Virginia at Fancy Gap. That's when they start putting the "Runaway Truck" escape ramps along the road. It seems like it's steeper than that but I guess not.
Thanks fellas,
John

/ % Grade vs Degrees #15  
I don't remember where "Fancy Gap" is, but I do remember a grade of that much, or more, on I-64, and one of those escape ramps on I-77 in Virginia. But the most deceiving one I've driven on was (best I can remember) about a 6 mile stretch of 12% grade on the north slope haul road in Alaska. They named their slopes and that one was called "Beaver Slide". I have a couple of pictures of a truck, burned completely up, sitting at the bottom of that slope.

/ % Grade vs Degrees #16  
I don't remember where "Fancy Gap" is, but I do remember a grade of that much, or more, on I-64, and one of those escape ramps on I-77 in Virginia. But the most deceiving one I've driven on was (best I can remember) about a 6 mile stretch of 12% grade on the north slope haul road in Alaska. They named their slopes and that one was called "Beaver Slide". I have a couple of pictures of a truck, burned completely up, sitting at the bottom of that slope.

/ % Grade vs Degrees #17  
Salt River Canyon on U.S. 60 in Arizona carries a 6% grade. I agree it looks much steeper that it measures in degrees. Are there any places with greater that 6% grades on U. S. Highways, excluding dirt roads in the back country? I seem to recollect a 7% grade somewhere in my readings, but don't remember where that was, or if I was just dreaming.

/ % Grade vs Degrees #18  
Salt River Canyon on U.S. 60 in Arizona carries a 6% grade. I agree it looks much steeper that it measures in degrees. Are there any places with greater that 6% grades on U. S. Highways, excluding dirt roads in the back country? I seem to recollect a 7% grade somewhere in my readings, but don't remember where that was, or if I was just dreaming.

/ % Grade vs Degrees #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Salt River Canyon on U.S. 60 in Arizona carries a 6% grade. I agree it looks much steeper that it measures in degrees. Are there any places with greater that 6% grades on U. S. Highways, excluding dirt roads in the back country? I seem to recollect a 7% grade somewhere in my readings, but don't remember where that was, or if I was just dreaming.
)</font>

6% is the federal limit for interstate highways.

Of course....everything is subject to exception. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ % Grade vs Degrees #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Salt River Canyon on U.S. 60 in Arizona carries a 6% grade. I agree it looks much steeper that it measures in degrees. Are there any places with greater that 6% grades on U. S. Highways, excluding dirt roads in the back country? I seem to recollect a 7% grade somewhere in my readings, but don't remember where that was, or if I was just dreaming.
)</font>

6% is the federal limit for interstate highways.

Of course....everything is subject to exception. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif