Box Scraper Grader Blade or Box Blade?

/ Grader Blade or Box Blade? #11  
I have a 27 hp 790 with a 5 ft landpride box blade with about 350 lb of weight added to it (it weights about 430 lbs by itself). If it fills with dirt the tractor won't pull it up a hill. If it will cover the rear wheels I would probably go with a 4ft or 4 ス ft on a 2320 (it has less HP, is lighter and is hydro).

This is my first BB and for grading it far outperforms a scraper blade. I also didn稚 find the scraper blade very good for snow removal. I have a front blade for that, snow blower would be good also.

/ Grader Blade or Box Blade? #13  
Hey there guys I am looking to you for some expert advice! I am looking to purchase a either a grader blade or box blade, I would like to use it for some light landscaping around my home and in the winter time when doing my driveway, I don't have a lot of experience with this, This will go on my John Deere 2320 (24hp) Cat 1 . The tractor is 4'wide should I go with a 4' or 5' blade, or box blade, could I use the box blade in the winter? Who makes a decent product for a decent price? I have looked at Frontier, and am looking at one from www.tartergate.com they have a 5' that I can buy for $290.00 Sound good, but have any of you seen or used the probuct.....what are you guys using? Does anyone have plans to build one? I will be listening to any and all suggestions. Thanks:)

I vote both.

/ Grader Blade or Box Blade? #15  
lol David, I think you and Radar are nuts...
Although I did plow my 1-1/2 acre food plot with it one year.:)

And here I thought that you were going to say that you had never bailed with it, but you did save a bundle of $$$$ on your insurance.:D

/ Grader Blade or Box Blade? #17  
As a fellow 2320 owner, I do have a 5 foot box blade that gets a lot of use. It is primarily used for driveway maintenance and ditch work, but gets a workout maintaining trails as well. The 5 footer on the 2320 works great, and yes when full it can be a load. The grader blade definitely shines in the snow, and works fairly well on light landscaping. If snow removal is the primary reason for this purchase than I would go with the grader blade, as it can do other tasks as well. The box blade just doesn't do very good at all in the snow.

/ Grader Blade or Box Blade? #18  
Dale,
I was in the same spot about a year ago. Here is what I have learned from a year's experience and all the folks here:

1. For moving dirt and digging- The boxblade with teeth is the best implement.

2. For scraping snow- An offset and angling scrape blade is best.

3. For Landscaping and smoothing- I prefer the box blade.

4. If you are 3RR, a box blade will do anything!!

now let me explain-
I graded out around a new house, built and maintained several trails, maintained a steep driveway and scraped about 3 miles of driveway and county gravel road for snow..

Around the house the box blade let me grab the dirt, hold on to it, and move it to where I used the bucket to pickup and dump elsewhere. I tried this the the scrape and just did not work that well. The box also is alot heavier and REALLY digs. the scrape is light and bounces...
for light landscaping the scrape might be fine-- but it will depend on your definition of light..

Now for the snow, the box would be useless if you have more than just a couple of inches and you are going more than 50-60 feet.

I have an L3400 Kubota, with a 6 ft scrape anda 5 ft box. I have stopped the tractor dead with a root while using the box..

anyway,
I hope this helps..

Later,
J

I just bought a 4' box scraper to use with my JD 4300 and am a newbie at using it. I need some advice. I noticed that in trying to smooth grade one area, the box scraper was actually making it worse. In this area, there are slowly rolling peaks and valleys in the dirt (just a few inches higher or lower) , maybe 15 feet apart, and as the tractor very slightly tilts upward up the peak, the box scraper scrapes the valley lower than it originally was. So using the thing actually makes the peaks and valleys worse. Am I doing something wrong?

/ Grader Blade or Box Blade? #19  
I used my box blade on our lane the other day. It is usually my blade of choice. However, the frost wasn't completely out, and it was kind of mucky. It is a 6' I believe on a JD1050, which is about 32 hp. I ended up filling up the blade with muck that wouldn't come out. I could barely lift it, and I ended up shoveling it out. My dad got a good laugh out of that one. Other than that incident, I love the box. But I have a scraper for snow. For the teeth to work on the box, I think I am going to have to put a weight box on it and throw some lead pigs that I have laying around in the box. I hate to risk breaking a tooth, but they just don't do much as it is. Mine is a King Kutter.