Grading Grading 1/4 mile driveway

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #11  
Get the lane graded for proper runoff and control...then top it with several inches of crusher run...it will be like pavement...

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #12  
A heavy duty Rear Blade with a Tail Wheel is even better!

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #13  
One way for a fix is to remove the current granular material and stockpile, then grade up a properly formed and compacted roadbed, spread the stockpiled granular products and cover with a well graded crushed aggregate with vibratory compression.

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #14  
A heavy duty Rear Blade with a Tail Wheel is even better!

Or, spend far less money and get a garden-variety rear blade and learn how to use it. My quarter-mile driveway, a few miles north, is about as steep (averages 14%, but haven't measured the steepest parts) and gets by fine after proper grading to drain with an occasional touchy-up, all done with a fully manual rear blade. See https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/299055-grading-interesting-driveway.html

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #15  
Or, spend far less money and get a garden-variety rear blade and learn how to use it. My quarter-mile driveway, a few miles north, is about as steep (averages 14%, but haven't measured the steepest parts) and gets by fine after proper grading to drain with an occasional touchy-up, all done with a fully manual rear blade. See https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/299055-grading-interesting-driveway.html

Yep.
I takes some practice with a rear blade though.

In Real estate the mantra is: location, location, location.
For driveways it is: ditches, ditches, ditches.

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #16  
That inside corner needs a big old harry rock placed near the edge to keep people from cutting the corner. Or a couple of fence posts with some reflectors on them and maybe a ball of barbed wire.

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #17  
That inside corner needs a big old harry rock placed near the edge to keep people from cutting the corner. Or a couple of fence posts with some reflectors on them and maybe a ball of barbed wire.

You would not believe how well this works!

I placed two at the edge of my driveway, now I'm using the weed burner 2ft into my gravel driveway.

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway
Hi mwayne and airbiscuit. Thank you for the Andrew Camarata info. I just watched the youtube link airbiscuit added and he makes it look so easy, so I have hope. Our driveway used to be EXTREMELY bad and the gravel would wash down the driveway leaving long ruts (hubby was pissed every time it rained hard and he saw all the gravel rushing down the drive). Because we're using surge stone, there is no gravel run off, but now there are numerous potholes.

The uneven driveway is not good for my car either. Last week, I was hearing an occasional thumping noise when I drove and when I took it to the Honda dealer, they found a 3" x 3" rock by my control arm and told me that my skid plate had numerous dings on it.

I have added a picture of my car and you can see that it's about a 20'ish degree slope (looked up the difference between slope and grade).

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Concrete to rock driveway.jpg
    Concrete to rock driveway.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 115
   / Grading 1/4 mile driveway
Hi Gordon. I LOVE your driveway. That's what I would like ours to look like. Crusher run is what my husband mentioned getting and it looks like it would be great.

/ Grading 1/4 mile driveway #20  
Need some advice on grading our 1/4 mile driveway. Our main problems are the first 100 feet and the last half of our driveway. The entrance to our driveway is about a 20 degree grade and the last part curves downwards. Both parts have numerous times up to about 10 inches deep in numerous areas. The UPS and Amazon trucks don't help either.

We currently use #5 surge stone because it was recommended and installed by the contractor to stop the gravel from washing out down our driveway.

We now have a MX5800 with a bucket and piranha bar. What do you recommend to fix the driveway? I think we need a box blade and my husband wants to our down crusher stone(?) over the existing drive.

I have attached photos of the worst part of our driveway. I will try to take additional pictures tomorrow.

It looks to me like you have the road base put in with what we call "shot rock" . This is a good road base but not a final finish. If it were my lane, I would put some ditches on both sides of the road and then put 3 inches of 3/4"minus crushed rock on top and camber the roadbed ( slightly higher in the middle than at the edges) to run water off to the ditches. If you do this correctly, the fines in the crushed rock will harden the road bed. This can be done with a back blade. You may have to put some culverts to carry water away or some "scratches" to carry water from the ditch further away from the road.