Grading a long driveway

/ Grading a long driveway #11  
I maintain a little over two miles of common road and driveways that are on a very heavy clay and decomposed sandstone substrate. We have heavy winter rains in coastal northern CA, so maintaining proper drainage is important. For my situation my box blade is essential and the top & tilt makes it practical. I only use my landscape rake occasionally when I want the final finish to look especially good.

Steve

/ Grading a long driveway #12  
I have a 1400' gravel drive and use a box blade and rake. However, I just had my gravel guy bring his grader over and do a grooming following a major washout. I'll be able to maintain to for some time (I'm not expecting another flood for 100 years) since it is in good shape now.

As Eddie suggested, it might be worth your time and money to have someone with a road grader correct any problems.

/ Grading a long driveway #13  
To really get it right and not have to mess with it again, you might want to looking into what a guy with a grader will charge to come out and do it for you. You might be suprised to find that it's cheaper then buying a box blade or another implement. Then after you spend the money to buy that implement, you will find that it's very difficult to work and get a smooth driveway with. Compact tractors are not very good at this and it takes a real talent to grade and smooth a road with any implement you can buy for your tractor. For the bigger tractors, they add hydraulic controls to their rear blades or box blades to get it right, but without that, you are fighting a losing battle.

Good luck,
Eddie

Eddie, I have to disagree with your advise on this. I am no expert but I had no trouble at all using a boxblade for my driveway. I am able to move excess material from one area to another and end up with a driveway that even my wife complements.

/ Grading a long driveway #14  
What about a land plane or land grader as some people may call them? These are actually made for the job you are describing. However... they're kind of a one trick pony.

roadgraderblade.jpg

/ Grading a long driveway #15  
As you can see, you're getting lots of variations. Seems most though are based on how much material is required to be moved. Years ago, I watched as the local developers, excavators and sand and gravel businesses put in new drives and what they used. Most in the rural areas around here used a dozer or box blade, and then finished it with a LANDSCAPE RAKE (with caster wheels). Since then, a rake is all we've used to MAINTAIN both a 200' and 900' drives. I guess if due to lack of a crown, poor soil, steep grade, or some other complex condition, your drive frequently gets to where it needs more major redistribution of the gravel, filling of substantial ruts or washouts then a rear blade or box blade may be required. Otherwise, if an occasional "dressing" of the surface or light redistrbution of the gravel is what is needed, I vote for the rake.

/ Grading a long driveway #16  
Please post a picture of a typical section of your road you need to grade and that might help in discussing what would be helpful to you.

Besides deciding about the appropriate attachment versus hiring a grader, it could be helpful to look at your road to see if you need to correct grading and drain issues. You may want to look at these resources: center for dirt & gravel road studies

They are oriented towards public roads that are maintained with a grader, but there are plenty of good ideas in them.

/ Grading a long driveway #17  
Eddie, I have to disagree with your advise on this. I am no expert but I had no trouble at all using a boxblade for my driveway. I am able to move excess material from one area to another and end up with a driveway that even my wife complements.

While I have no doubt that most everyone here can "maintain" a gravel driveway with a box blade, there will be a time when things will change.

You have to start out with a well graded road. If it's all messed up from the beginning, it's extremely difficult to get is smooth with a box blade. It's doable with time and practice, it's also very frustrating and time consuming.

One of the biggest and most common mistakes that I see on here is people who are grading an existing gravel driveway to smooth it out. While this will give you instant improvement on your gravel road, it is also speeding up the process of that road failing. The rock needs to be a minimum thickness. Here in my area, that's 4 inches. In other areas it might also be four inches, but I think that some areas it might need to be more then that.

When you grade a gravel road, you are moving rock from one place to another. This is pretty obvious, but the long term effect is that the place you are taking the rock from is now thinner and the place that you are adding it to has already failed, so it's doubtful that you've built it up to the proper thickness. Now you have two areas that will fail instead of the one.

Do this over and over again on a long gravel road, and you have done more damage then good. When you have a low area, then you need to "BUY MORE" rock and work it into the low area. This means breaking it up and re-compacting it for a tight fit.

Just look at the sides of your road a week or two after box blading it and see if there's any rock there? I've seen the ditches along gravel drives that were so full of rock that you couldn't see the dirt under the rock. Of course that driveway was a disaster and nobody understood why the rock wouldn't stay on the road.

Eddie

/ Grading a long driveway #18  
IMHO,first you need a good crown in the road to start,this provides good rain run off.Then maintience of the bumps with a box blade,york rake and or land grader.A good crown is essential.coobie

/ Grading a long driveway #19  
Do a search here, lots of opinions and info. The pictures are of what I use to maintain over 2 miles of roads.

Good luck with your search.

Attachments

• P4260025.JPG
    P4260025.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 313
  • P4260026.JPG
    P4260026.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 371
  • PC290001.JPG
    PC290001.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 397
  • PC290007.JPG
    PC290007.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 261
   / Grading a long driveway
Brian,

I cannot get your link to work?

Again, thanks to all who responded... When I moved in my new property in the Spring of 2008, the driveway was there, but it was not smooth or even. I suspect not enough road base was brought in when the driveway was put in, and there was definitely no crown on it. I was not impressed. We had heavy rain in August, and portions of the driveway washed away, with the original soil showing up in places. It seems I will need to bring some road base first there is at most 2" of road base on the drive, and much less on some parts.
As for having the work done by a contractor, the two local companies I contacted were quite expensive, so I decided to tackle the job myself. I am retired, so taking the time to do the job is not an issue, but the skills needed to do the job properly might be!
I already have a rear blade, and I will buy either a box blade or a "dedicated grader" . The only one I have had a look at online is the Dura Grader (Model 60-adjustable-6'). Any other suggestions for manufacturers of this kind of equipment? I am also going to check online for landscape rakes.

JLC in Colorado Springs
PS: I also need to figure out how to post pics on this site!

Last edited: