grading driveway

/ grading driveway #11  
4'' minimum of crush gravel 3/4'' minus... to cut cost you could do a layer of sand underneath the gravel.

/ grading driveway #12  
Pretty difficult question to answer without more information.
I would recommend contacting a couple different contractors in the area that do that type of work and see what they recommend. In the long run a good driveway is usually very well worth the investment.

/ grading driveway #13  
#1) Think drainage. Keep the water away. I live in Washington state, on the "wet" side, so we all know to give the inevitable water somewhere to go. :)

My roadbed is probably 12-18" above shoulder drains. Both sides are mowable so easily maintained. Ditches did not work as they filled with weeds.
Oct 31 2021 pasture.jpg

/ grading driveway
drains? as in a french drain type arrangement with a trench filled with gravel?

/ grading driveway #15  
I don't know if that what he means but that's not necessary just make sure your road is above the ground adjacent to it but making ditch on the side help a lot it makes a reservoir so the water don't flood the road if the ditch's as somewhere to go it's even better and slop the road from the centerline down to the ditch.

/ grading driveway #17  
I built a driveway through a swamp that was basicly a clay bowl. Road fabric and drainage ditches on each side is your friend. Dont bother scraping off the topsoil, road fabric dosnt care what its on.

How long a driveway holds up depends alot on what and how often its driven on.

My driveway through the swamp is a corduroy road with enough clay from the ditches to cover the logs, then road fabric and 4-6in of crusher run. I have had a 20,000lb gravel truck on it with no issues. I did this all with a 3,500lb micro EX and its front blade.

/ grading driveway #18  
I built a driveway through a swamp that was basicly a clay bowl. Road fabric and drainage ditches on each side is your friend. Dont bother scraping off the topsoil, road fabric dosnt care what its on.

How long a driveway holds up depends alot on what and how often its driven on.

My driveway through the swamp is a corduroy road with enough clay from the ditches to cover the logs, then road fabric and 4-6in of crusher run. I have had a 20,000lb gravel truck on it with no issues. I did this all with a 3,500lb micro EX and its front blade.
well not true, to one extreme to the next but organic matter under a road always moves one day or the other fabric or not … now in your case you do what you have to do to make a pad to retain material and elevate the road but you will always have to touch up that section. Don’t give me wrong i would’ve done the same thing to go through a swamp.

how well a driveway holds depend on the material it is built with.

/ grading driveway #19  
We had to build up a road this spring. About 3/4 mile long. Had roughly 55-60 ton of crushed asphalt brought in. The dump driver recommended a load of 3/4 dropped in one extremely wet area where even a 4x4 truck was sketchy to get through it.

Good ditches now so water has a place to go and after all summer and into this wet fall, my brother still drives his EV car in.

If I didn't get the ditches open, I wouldn't have used the crushed asphalt but just built the road up now that the water can flow. We drag it occasionally with a box blade towed behind the sxs

/ grading driveway #20  
well not true, to one extreme to the next but organic matter under a road always moves one day or the other fabric or not … now in your case you do what you have to do to make a pad to retain material and elevate the road but you will always have to touch up that section. Don’t give me wrong i would’ve done the same thing to go through a swamp.

how well a driveway holds depend on the material it is built with.
Depends what's driven on it. A road is going to hold up alot better to daily traffic of a honda civic vs daily traffic of a cement truck.

Also if you want a driveway that you never have to touch up..gravel isnt the driveway for you.