Grain Drill ?

/ Grain Drill ? #1  

redka

Silver Member
Bought a JD 8' model B grain drill yesterday, the trip lever type. It is in pretty good condition, but the feed adjustment mechanism is stuck. The two adjustment levers won't move. There is some rust on the 14 feed sprockets under the box, so I'm thinking that's the problem. I sprayed PB Blaster on the levers connecting points, and where each of the feed sprockets slide back and forth. Have not tried moving levers again yet. Any suggestions to help get them moving without damaging anything? Thanks.

/ Grain Drill ? #2  
We have an old JD drill as well and those feed adjustment levers/shafts tend to freeze up from time to time especially as it's stored outside in the elements.

You did what we would do on a not-uncommon basis. Used motor oil/penetrating oil and let it sit it bit. Apply some more muscle power to it to see if that moves. If not, repeat the process. I believe if they were rusted up so bad that you could never get them loose that it would obvious from looking at them.

/ Grain Drill ? #3  
Bought a JD 8' model B grain drill yesterday, the trip lever type. It is in pretty good condition, but the feed adjustment mechanism is stuck. The two adjustment levers won't move. There is some rust on the 14 feed sprockets under the box, so I'm thinking that's the problem. I sprayed PB Blaster on the levers connecting points, and where each of the feed sprockets slide back and forth. Have not tried moving levers again yet. Any suggestions to help get them moving without damaging anything? Thanks.

My guess would be that the fluted feeds are rusted into the seed cups. The Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drill that I restored a few years ago had that problem. You could try spraying PBB into the cups.

The cups and feeds on the fertilizer box were pretty rusted

DSCF0143 (Small).JPGDSCF0162 (Small).JPGDSCF0004 (Small).JPG
I used Gemplers rust converter on the cups and feeds (leaves a black coating on the metal) and painted the cups with cold galvanize spray paint.

Unfortunately, to fix a severe rust problem like the one I had, you have to disassemble the grill. Not too difficult and a lot of fun:thumbsup:

Used that MM drill to plant Kanota oats

Drill-6.JPG

Good luck.

/ Grain Drill ?
Thanks guys, I shot some more PBB on it this morning. Will grease all the zerks , and get if off the ground next week then try turning the wheels and shaft.

/ Grain Drill ? #5  
If you get it unstuck and use it, do what my wife does between changing seed types and at the end of the season, get a shop vac and suck out all the old seed. She finally traded the FB-B for a new JD BD1108.

/ Grain Drill ?
If you get it unstuck and use it, do what my wife does between changing seed types and at the end of the season, get a shop vac and suck out all the old seed. She finally traded the FB-B for a new JD BD1108.

Good suggestion...thanks.

/ Grain Drill ?
Picked it up with the 3pt boom....turned the wheels by hand and everything was free. The feed gates also freed up. Thanks for the help all.