Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #11  
Hello Kthompson, with your observation of the differences between the Grand L front axle, and the MX front axle, what did you discern were the differences?

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #12  
All three tractors in your title are Kubota models.

L6060 has ample, AMPLE power for all your tasks. Being narrowest of three Kubota's under consideration will be easier to maneuver through 14 acres of sloped forest. L6060 has HST+ transmission. No intimidating clutch pedal.

Two features which are part of HST+ will be especially valuable to neophyte operators: 1) STALL GUARD prevents stalls, especially during forward/back Loader work. I used to stall my earlier standard L/HST a dozen times per day, doing Loader work. With STALL GUARD is stall perhaps once every 45 days. 2) You can set the control speed sensitivity as part of HST+. Even after seven years with my L3560, at age 72 years I keep control speed set at 75%. For you, this may be just a learning phase.

The M4D is shuttle shift and has four "clutches" if you count the PTO. I find myself just using the shuttle shift, sometimes I use the button on the shift knob. The clutch is not something so intimidating it would affect my decision. What is intimidating is even at idle in first gear the tractor moves pretty quick so not great for detailed work like getting that pallet out of the back of the truck:eek: So if you need to do very close maneuvering then an HST might be the way to go.

The M4D is 6,000 pounds bare weight, without a 900 pound cab installed. Too, too much for 34 acres.
I'm on 28 acres and have two tractors, all about user preference.

In an earlier post you aspire for your daughter to operate the tractor. I consider it highly unlikely she will be willing to operate an M4D.

The L6060/cab will be intimidating enough.
I would say any cabbed tractor is pretty intimidating, the M4D has an instructor chair. Not sure if that's an option with the L or MX but if your serious about training someone it's worth the extra $$ for the option IMHO.

Tractor cost does not seem to be a consideration. The wider wheel/tires on an MX6000 will do nothing for you. Forget the MX. Go with the Grand L6060.

Look at wheel size and width for ride smoothness OP. Bigger tires and wider stance will have more operator comfort...especially if you're looking over your shoulder brush hogging. Of those three I believe the sizing of tires would go L, MX, M4 but I'm not 100%.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #13  
Bigger...wider tires I think go to the MX then the L. Or at least it looked that way to me. Especially the front tires.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #14  
and no HST options from Kubota or anybody else on that size or bigger tractor).

That's not quite true. They are available up to 500 HP. But it's a matter of budget and out of the OP's needs.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #15  
and no HST options from Kubota or anybody else on that size or bigger tractor).

That's not quite true. They are available up to 500 HP. But it's a matter of budget and out of the OP's needs.
The shuttle shift is basically HST with slightly less control of extreme slow speeds.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #16  
Just need to use the clutch and brakes a little more for close in work, but it is not hard once you get use to it. I like my M4 better and I am on 30 acres of land. The power difference, cab, ride comfort and hydraulics are just great on it compared to the compact utility tractors.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #17  
Not at all. A shuttle is a gear shift machine with a hydraulically actuated clutch(es). Basically an evolution of an old manual crash box.

A HST is a hydraulic pump attached to a hydraulic motor. Most don't even have a clutch except for the PTO.

A geared machine is about 15% more efficient than a HST. Better for farming, less precise though. Personally I happily pay the HST tax for precision of operation. I get more value from that than I would the lower operating costs of a geared machine.

They can make huge 1,000+ HP HSTs. And do for dozers & such. The market segment of 60+ HP tractors just prioritizes efficiency over precision & ease of use of a HST. Not an unreasonable choice by any means.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #18  
What is intimidating is even at idle in first gear the tractor moves pretty quick so not great for detailed work like getting that pallet out of the back of the truck:eek: So if you need to do very close maneuvering then an HST might be the way to go.

Does that model have the creeper gear option? I've been thinking about getting that installed on my M7060 - 1st gear on the M7060 is about the same as 3rd gear on my old John Deere 2020.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #19  
Just need to use the clutch and brakes a little more for close in work, but it is not hard once you get use to it. I like my M4 better and I am on 30 acres of land. The power difference, cab, ride comfort and hydraulics are just great on it compared to the compact utility tractors.
I agree, I also feel significantly more stable with my normal loads of water, hay, feed at ~1,000#. Love the M4 more and more as I use it and get used to it.

/ Grand L6060 vs. MX 6000 vs M4D-071 #20  
Does that model have the creeper gear option? I've been thinking about getting that installed on my M7060 - 1st gear on the M7060 is about the same as 3rd gear on my old John Deere 2020.
I don't believe they do. If you're in 1st at idle you move very slow, just not much friction zone on the clutch.