Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
I've been lurking, reading, and wanted to ask a very pointed question...

I've just purchased a heavily wooded lot that I need to partially clear, to put in the house seat, septic and driveways. I've made provisions to deal with the "heavy work" such as cutting the timber (but I must deal with the brush), dozing in the driveway, and installing the septic tank and lines -- but that leaves me with a lot of brush to deal with shorterm, in addition to the future chores of putting in a lawn and maintaining the gravel driveway.... However, I think I have equipment that I can use to maintain it, once I get to that point.

I currently have an old 4WD Kubota B-6000 with loader & boxblade that I was planning to use for the clearing work, in addition to two old Simplicity/Allis Chalmers garden tractors with tiller, finish mowers, vacuum, aerator, boxblade, belly blade, dozer blade, etc. that I'd use to maintain it.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about whether the Kubota is up to the task, given the slope I'll be working on, and the amount of brush that I need to deal with -- especially given my limited time and the fact that the property is 900 miles away. I'm seriously considering getting a PT 425 with grapple bucket and brush cutter, plus perhaps the stump cutter, 60" rake and mini-hoe.

My questions are:

(1) Has anyone done a real, firsthand comparision between the grapple bucket and the 4-in-1 when it comes to clearing forested property...

(2) How much does the grapple get in the way when you want to use it as a normal bucket to move dirt, mulch, etc?

I understand that the 4-in-1 is more versatile, but I'm still leaning toward the grapple bucket due to the amount of brush I'll need to deal with... and adding the 48" light material bucket, if necessary, wouldn't be that much more. I have a box blade, belly blade, and dozer blade for my other tractors, so I'm not really factoring those tasks into the decision.

Here's the property I need to clear

TIA...
Kent

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #2  
I have both the grapple bucket and the 4 in 1 bucket. They both have their applications. However I believe the grapple bucket will pickup much more brush at one time than the 4 in 1. In reality since I have the grapple, I have not actually used the 4 in 1 to pickup brush. The 4 in 1 has to reach down with the opening at the bottom, and brush may have a tendency to be pushed out as you close it. The grapple has a wider opening and can therefore enfold more material as it closes. If you have a second person they can compress the material into the grapple even more.

As far as interference from the grapple. It is pretty minimal. When the grapple is wide open the bucket is almost normal. The bottom attachment bracket for the hydraulic cylinder can drag on the ground a little if the front lip of the bucket is lifted off of the ground. This same (but minor) issues also affects the 4 in 1.

I have amazed my neighbors with the grapple and I think it's what you need for your property.

Bob Rip

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property
Thanks, Bob. I was looking for some feedback from someone who's used both! I thought the grapple bucket would handle brush and tree limbs much better...

A follow-up question, do you think I'd really need the regular light material bucket, if I buy the grapple bucket?

Do you find yourself using the grapple bucket for more "normal" chores, or do you limit it to handling brush and such?

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #4  
I have the light material bucket. I don't use it very much. It is the best thing I have for carrying logs cut to firewood length. I tried to use it for dirt the other day and it was hard to fill it fully. I soon switched to the 4 in 1. For you I say get the grapple and then later if you need it get the 4 in 1. I don't have any light material except for branches (no mulch).

Before I got the 4 in 1, I used the grapple mostly and occasionally the light material bucket. Logs cut to firewood length are still my biggest use for the light material bucket.

One of the big advantages of the 4 in 1 is the ability to fill it going forward and backward. This means that you can always fill it going downhill. This is a big advantage with the 422 since it has limited wheel motor torgue compared to the new 425. Even with the 425 have gravity helping you and not against you is always a good thing (Use the force of Gravity, Luke). Here I am spending your money, and I apologize for that. I would like to hear from someone who has used the 4 in 1 for branches. All of my branches were burned a few weeks ago, or I would try to test it. Maybe I can find some tomorrow. Wait a day or two and I will let you know.

BobRip

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #5  
I use the 4 in 1 for branches and pulling briars. It works great for that. I don't have the grapple, so it is hard to compare, but I would guess the grapple functions better for the larger stuff and bunches of 1-3" branches and logs.

(enter 14 with his log picture... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

I have carried 6-8" logs with the 4 in 1, but I mostly use it to pull briars and carry a lot of thinner branches and brush which I believe the grapple would struggle with.

That doesn't even mention all the digging and landscaping it does.

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #6  
Sounds like PT needs to make a 4-in-1 grapple bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #7  
Amen to the 4 in 1 grapple bucket....but then they would lose out on the extra money keeping them separate.

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #8  
I went over to a neighbor's property today (while he was at work) and found a brush pile. I used the 4 in 1 to pickup some stuff. I felt it could grab about 1/4 as much stuff as the grapple. I conclude that for brush, branches, and small logs the grapple is much better.

BobRip

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I went over to a neighbor's property today (while he was at work) and found a brush pile. I used the 4 in 1 to pickup some stuff. I felt it could grab about 1/4 as much stuff as the grapple. I conclude that for brush, branches, and small logs the grapple is much better.

BobRip )</font>
Wow! I'm impressed that you'd actually take the time to go perform a test, just to answer my question. I called PT and talked to Scott today. The 4-in-1s are currently on about a 2-week backorder, but the PT 425, grapple bucket and other attachments I'm interested in are all in stock...

Looks like it coming down to "decision time" for me...

/ Grapple bucket vs 4-in-1 for clearing property #10  
I am sure that many people on this site would do the same if they had the attachments.

Bob Rip