Grapple Install

/ Grapple Install
OK. Finally got a chance to get photos of where I'm at with this project...

Here's one of the WR Long EHV installed:

EHV_Installed.jpg

A couple of the bulkhead kit (not welded on yet):

Bulkhead_Kit_1.jpg

Bulkhead_Kit_2.jpg

And, a couple of the installed grapple, one open and one closed:

Grapple_Open.jpg

Grapple_Closed.jpg

In the background of a couple of those images, you can see a bit of the mess that I have to clean up. I hope to get the bulkhead bracket welded on tomorrow. I'll try to get some action pictures when I start working with it.

Later,

BamaRob

/ Grapple Install #22  
Lookin' good! I had some fun with mine yesterday clearing out trees we'd cut down along the line of some property we'd just bought. Big fun.

-Brian

/ Grapple Install #23  
Looks good Rob, mine ships Wednesday I think.

/ Grapple Install
OK. Still haven't gotten the bulkhead bracket welded on, but I just had to play a little. :)

Here's a couple examples of the mess I have to clean up:

mess01.jpg

mess02.jpg

Here's a photo of the Farm-All "C" the loggers were using to skid logs. It's currently out of commission with something stripped out in the gearbox. They're currently using a JD grapple skidder.

Farm-All-C.jpg

A few photos of the grapple in action:

load01.jpg

load02.jpg

backload.jpg

pile.jpg

pile2.jpg

I hope to get the bulkhead bracket welded on Friday evening. My 11-year-old has a baseball game tomorrow, so it'll have to wait another day.

Later,

BR

/ Grapple Install #26  
Looks like you are having fun and saving your back. With the relatively lightweight brush you are picking up you could probably leave off the bush hog for counterweight but I tend to leave mine on as you do.

/ Grapple Install
IslandTractor said:
Looks like you are having fun and saving your back. With the relatively lightweight brush you are picking up you could probably leave off the bush hog for counterweight but I tend to leave mine on as you do.

Yeah, I think I'll switch to the boxblade for counterweight while piling this brush. It'll be less cumbersome than the kutter and should be sufficient weight for what I'm doing. The only heavy stuff I may encounter will be logs, some of which may be 20" at the butt end and 16' long. But, those will be few and far between. The loggers are finished cutting in the area where I'm starting my clean up. But, there's a log or two in there that hasn't made it to their staging area.

When the logging is complete, I'm going to have about 6-7 acres to <del>play</del> work on. :D

Later,

BR

/ Grapple Install #28  
BamaRob said:
The only heavy stuff I may encounter will be logs, some of which may be 20" at the butt end and 16' long.

Now those puppies would be heavy enough to "lighten" your rearend pretty quickly. I'd just carry them low and stay away from slopes. I'd probably push them aside and save lifting/moving those until I put the cutter back on as counterweight.

The nice thing about a rotary cutter as a counterweight is the lever effect you get with it sticking out 5-6 feet from the back of the tractor. Otherwise I agree a boxblade should suffice and makes manuvering a whole lot easier.

/ Grapple Install
IslandTractor said:
For what it's worth, I've had my Millonzi LD48 for over a year now and put it through all sorts of grief without any hint of a problem with the factory supplied hydraulic hoses. I don't even have a protective sleeve on them.

IslandTractor,

Since you have the same grapple and 12+ months of experience using it, care to share any techniques with us? I.e. what's the best technique you've found for grubbing small trees/bushes (attack angle, etc.)? Have you found the root rake handy for backdragging to pile smaller, loose debris? Any tips you'd care to share?

I can easily see this becoming my most used attachment. I have lots of jobs planned for it, but I know it'll take a while to perfect my technique at each.

Thanks,

BR

/ Grapple Install #30  
BamaRob said:
IslandTractor,

Since you have the same grapple and 12+ months of experience using it, care to share any techniques with us? I.e. what's the best technique you've found for grubbing small trees/bushes (attack angle, etc.)? Have you found the root rake handy for backdragging to pile smaller, loose debris? Any tips you'd care to share?

I can easily see this becoming my most used attachment. I have lots of jobs planned for it, but I know it'll take a while to perfect my technique at each.

Thanks,

BR

Most used attachment....well, except for the seat yes. To be honest I have not had the bucket on the loader since I got the grapple. One of these days I will weld a universal attachment plate to the bucket and use it again but that should give you an idea of how much I use the grapple.

Regarding techniques I have learned through trial and error: Yes, there are some and I will try to summarize my experiences.

The very first thing I learned was not to use the grapple without an implement on the rear. It's real easy to grab a big load like a stump and lift your rear wheels off the ground. Don't do it.:) I generally use my bush hog mostly because I am often cleaning up land and use the bush hog actively as well as for a counterweight.

Second thing I'll pass on is a technique that I learned after using the grapple for a couple of months and so it may not be obvious to others. The natural inclination is the use the grapple as a scoop like you would use a bucket, and then clamp down on your load. You can actually get a much bigger load of a compressable load such as brush by using a different technique. First, this works best when the load is already free (you are not ripping it out). The technique is to put the grapple in float with jaw wide open and slowly move into the load, pushing it along the ground. You then slowly (over a few seconds) "dump" the grapple so the upper jaw moves from vertical to horizontal and in so doing comes over the top of the intended load. Keep driving forwards slowly and now close the grapple. What this does is to use the forward motion of the tractor to compress the load into the main grapple more effectively than if you just "take a bite". Also, as the upper jaw comes down, it will compress the load from a perpendicular angle. Without using such a technique you will find that you always have extra lift capacity because you haven't really crammed everything you can into the grapple. You will learn to judge just how much your loader will handle but I can actually overload my grapple with brush using that technique so I cannot lift to full height. My FEL lifts 1070 at pivot points to full height so I would guess the net weight of the lift of brush is 700-800lbs which is quite a lot of stuff. This technique is particularly useful if you are moving brush piles some distance as you can load up the grapple fewer times and just keep the grapple close to the ground as you travel.

The second technique I learned may be most useful for those who have heavier tractors and stronger FELs. Basically, for trees less than 5-6 inches in diameter (scrub not hearty oaks) you can push the tree over to 45 degrees or so just as you would with a bucket. Then, back up, stick the grapple lower tines under the exposed edge of the root system which should typically be partically exposed right in front of you. Next just use a combo of driving the tractor forward and lifting/curling with the FEL to pop the root ball out and clamp it at the same time. You'll end up with the tree pointing out directly in front of the FEL but with the roots secure in the grapple you can curl and move it to a collecting spot in a single maneuver. It is very satisfying when done properly. You'll learn pretty quickly what size tree to attempt that maneuver with but I find that I can do that with any tree I can bring down without a chain saw.

Third tip: When going after brush still in the ground, for some reason I find it most efficient to come down over the top of the brush crushing it down before closing the grapple. My initial instinct again was to drive into the brush with the grapple used like a bucket but the top down crush and then driving forward to compress more into the load seems most efficient. It's really just a variation on point number one above.

Fourth tip: grapple plus bush hog are an amazing team in thick brush. First grapple to get any vines, briars out of the way that might slap at you when you back the bush hog into a particularly dense stand of vegetation. Then turn the tractor around and back the bush hog (PTO on) into the thicket. When the briars start impinging on the operator station you pull forward, turn about again so the grapple is now facing the enemy and moving slightly to one side of the cleared area and repeating the actions. By ignoring the trees and working around them with grapple and bush hog, you can gain better access to the tree to try out technique 2 above. I actually leave my PTO on with the hog spinning and when I get a grapple load of briar/brush I will back up 10-15 feet, drop the load in front of the tractor and immediately drive over it for another grapple pass while the bush hog pulverizes the first load as I drive over it. Very efficient way to chop the brush up rather than bother moving it to a pile.

Photo 1: big brush load using first technique
photo 2; tree pulled out using second technique
photo 3: area cleared of brush around trees using fourth method.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_0883 small.JPG
    IMG_0883 small.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0274 brush gone ready to tackle trees (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0274 brush gone ready to tackle trees (600 x 450).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 679