Grapple GRAPPLE /LOGGING

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I have been thinking about what CUT to buy for some time now. I had more or less decided that for the preparation of small food plots, a tractor of 30 hp should be adequate. But I recently read a thread about grapple techniques and thought it might help when we drop trees and cut up for firewood. I'm not sure whether a typical 30 hp CUT with grapple would be up to the task of grabbing and lifting 10-12 foot log about 12-15 inches diameter. Lot of weight there. Any thoughts??

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #2  
flINTLOCK said:
I have been thinking about what CUT to buy for some time now. I had more or less decided that for the preparation of small food plots, a tractor of 30 hp should be adequate. But I recently read a thread about grapple techniques and thought it might help when we drop trees and cut up for firewood. I'm not sure whether a typical 30 hp CUT with grapple would be up to the task of grabbing and lifting 10-12 foot log about 12-15 inches diameter. Lot of weight there. Any thoughts??

Could use more information. How many logs and how far would you be dragging them? What size logs? Flat ground? How much firewood do you use each year? Do you need to clear a large area all at once?

Jim

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #3  
10-12' logs 12-15" in idameter can get pretty heavy. My New Holland TC40DA is rated at 40HP and it has a tough time with fresh cut 15-20" logs in that length. You might want to shop for loader capacity verses horsepower. If you do, you will notice many tractor series have different HP ratings but the HP doesn't increase the loader capacity. For example the JD 4120, 4320, 4520 and 4720 range from 40 to 55 HP and they all have the same loader capability. Same with my TC40DA and the TC45DA.

As you wil find most others suggesting - buy the highest HP you can justify. You never regret having more power.

FWIW, when I bought my tractor - after I had settled on HP, features, etc. etc. I ended up making my decision based on ergonomics. That decision was after reviewing John Deere, New Holland, Case, Kubota and Mahindra. They're all good machines and none of them could be eliminated based on bad performance. So I was left with little to base my decision on except the small things. In other words, I bought the one that fit me best.

Attachments

• TC40DA w-grapple.jpg
    TC40DA w-grapple.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 1,178
   / GRAPPLE /LOGGING #4  
The weight of the logs would also depend on their species. A log that is 12" on one end and 15" on the other and 10' long, would be about 40 cubic feet of wood. (Reference) Eastern red cedar logs will weigh about 1500 pounds, while red oak will be about 2500 pounds. (reference) So, as KEG has said, I would pay more attention to the loader capacity than HP. Don't forget to add the weight of the bucket/grapple to your lift needs.

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #5  
I do a fair amount of tree removal on a property about 20 miles from home. I have a Kubota B7800 (30 hp) which just didn't lift enough to be as helpful as I would like.

Got a L39 this fall. Is 39 horsepower but a whole different animal. With a grapple on the front I've been able to lift most of what I want. Still strains with some loads but you have to be realistic. The L39 is set up to do some serious lifting and digging with much larger hydraulic capacity than other machines with comparable horsepower.

DSCN4498.JPG

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #6  
I have a 21 hp Kioti CK20 with a grapple. About the biggest log I can lift would be about 12 feet and 10 inches in diameter. I have to be careful while traveling as even with my loaded tires and bush hog as counter weight the rear gets light.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 882
   / GRAPPLE /LOGGING #7  
Do you think a weight box type counterweight would be more beneficial than a mower? By looking at your picture, it looks like with that setup, there would be a lot of stress either A( on the toplink where it attatches to mower, or B( where the toplink fits tractor. With a box type weight, seems the load would be more on the lift arms (heavier duty). Just wondering. Driving across uneven ground carrying a log that size, seems like the cutter would be bouncing around on the back, putting a lot of strain on toplink.

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #8  
BTDT said:
Do you think a weight box type counterweight would be more beneficial than a mower? By looking at your picture, it looks like with that setup, there would be a lot of stress either A( on the toplink where it attatches to mower, or B( where the toplink fits tractor. With a box type weight, seems the load would be more on the lift arms (heavier duty). Just wondering. Driving across uneven ground carrying a log that size, seems like the cutter would be bouncing around on the back, putting a lot of strain on toplink.

ABSOLUTELY!

A mower on the back is a lot of weight and the weight is far back behind the wheels, but it is really in the way. Your on the right track with a weight box. Small and heavy - not in the way.

jb

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #9  
Why can you not drag the logs rather than lift and carry? Sure make manuvering easier exspecially if you put on a logging winch.

The L39 is an industrial rated machine is it not?

I only got a Kubota B7100 to do all that kind of work.

/ GRAPPLE /LOGGING #10  
The log weight calcs. are incorrect. You must use radius not diameter. Logs weigh much less than calculated.