grapple on forks?

/ grapple on forks? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here is a grapple on forks rig that I built. )</font>

Brent, I don't know how I missed that you put a Tatro grapple on your forks, but I did. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's a darn nice job! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One thing happened to me lately that you might keep your eyes on. With the grapple fully open, you can bump it and make the cylinder go overcenter. I was trying to crush a brush pile when it happened to me. If I'd had the grapple just closed slightly, it would not have happened. There was no damage and I just tapped out one of the pins to remove it and reinstalled the cylinder. I've been really happy with my grapple. It's the perfect addition to my rock bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ grapple on forks? #12  
Thanks for the heads up. I wish I had a rock bucket right now. We are moving into our new house and I am in the process of landscaping the yard. I am having to deal with the rocks that came out when the basement was dug. That bucket would be handy.

/ grapple on forks?
Thanks to everyone for responses. I like the idea of the rod holding the forks from dumping, and can add that easily. Also I like the looks of tractors4u's grapple arms - they open wide and clamp tight, just the thing for brush. The arms will help stop anything from sliding down the loader arms, too. Will I need to restrict the fluid to make the grapple cylinder(s) close slower? I imagine the geometry matters in the distance between arm pivot pins and cylinder pins plus the arc of the arm travel. Anyone have an opinion on one pair vs. two separate arms with separate cylinders? More complexity, more capability, the usual tradeoff? I'll post pix when I get to building.
Thanks again, Jim

/ grapple on forks? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Will I need to restrict the fluid to make the grapple cylinder(s) close slower? )</font>

I was concerned about this myself because I had heard many people talk about the grapple moving too fast. I don't have one on mine and I have had no problems. It doesn't seem to move that fast to me.

/ grapple on forks? #15  
We needed a restrictor as our grapple moved way to fast to suit us otherwaise.

/ grapple on forks? #16  
You can get more adjustment with a 'flow control' valve than a 'restrictor'. Go to SurplusCenter.com and look up #9-5989

That fits in a 3/8 npt line and has good adjustment. Flow is unrestricted in one direction, so two are needed if 'too fast' is a problem opening the finger(s).

Look forward to the fabrication.

/ grapple on forks? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can get more adjustment with a 'flow control' valve than a 'restrictor'. Go to SurplusCenter.com and look up #9-5989

That fits in a 3/8 npt line and has good adjustment. Flow is unrestricted in one direction, so two are needed if 'too fast' is a problem opening the finger(s).

Look forward to the fabrication. )</font>

That's very true as we have two $24.00 flow control valves on our snow plow to slow down the single action cylinders. However we purchased a single inexpensive restrictor with the smallest orifice (less than 4 bucks) then drilled it so that we got the speed that we were happy with for the grapple. And we only needed one restrictor as well since we were dealing with a double acting cylinder on the grapple.

Just another way of doing things.

/ grapple on forks?
rp - thanks for the link. Those Arrow clamps have about the same relationship between arm pivot and cylinder pin as I'm planning. I'm surprised the closed clamp protrudes below the forks - I'd think it would get knocked all the time. Still it gives them a tighter clamp size - always tradeoffs.
Jim