Grapple

/ Grapple #1  

Havoctec

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310
My metals students have been helping me build a grapple and I thought you guys may by interested in some pics of it.

This is where it was Monday morning.

Attachments

• 825784-grapple 1.jpg
    825784-grapple 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,097
   / Grapple
Here it is at the end of the day Tuesday.

Attachments

• 825795-grapple 2.jpg
    825795-grapple 2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 791
   / Grapple
Here it is in the open position.

Attachments

• 825796-grapple.jpg
    825796-grapple.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 821
   / Grapple #4  
Hi Todd,
Real nice job, I would think youve got some good students to do that kind of work!

scotty

/ Grapple
They get a lot of supervision when doing a project like that for me but yes I do have some pretty good students. I designed the whole thing and just had them do cutting and welding. There are not very many students that I let weld and I inspected their progress often.

We actually finished it today and the paint is drying as I type this. I'll try to post some pics when I get it on the tractor.

I'll also try to get some pics of the plow they helped me build earlier this fall.

/ Grapple #6  
Interesting choice of round and square tube for your project. Throw in free material and indentured labor, what a deal. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Grapple #7  
Very nice looking grapple. I'll bet there's more than one member here including myself that could come up with all kinds of projects to keep good students real busy for a long time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Grapple
Actually, I could only scrounge up half of the steel so it did cost me a little. Price was right on the labor though. They were excited about building it though.

I like the idea of building equipment like that for people in the community. Just may have to look into that.

/ Grapple #9  
That's a great looking project. You're lucky to have the students do that for you. PineRidge is on to something there. Maybe we could send you the steel and plans your students would have projects year round?

/ Grapple #10  
Pretty nice. The best part of those practical projects was getting to try them out when they were done. We built a stock car when I was a senior in high school and all who worked on it(I designed and built the gas tank and lowered engine and transmission mounts), got to hot lap it when it was completed. Man that was a hoot /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Our teacher raced that car for a season before bringing it back to school and re-working it with another crop of students.