Grappler & Remote Hydraulics

/ Grappler & Remote Hydraulics #1  

The Gardener

Gold Member
To use an independent Grappler RBG on a B3030, B7800, or a Grand L4330, do you need to have a set of "remote hydraulics" installed?

Is this "remote hydraulics installation" done at the factory or at the dealership?

Many Thanks,
The Gardener

/ Grappler & Remote Hydraulics #2  
Gardner,
I would argue that the best way to operate a grapple would be to use a diverter valve. This is a valve that allows you to use a function, such as curling your bucket, to operate the grapple. There have been many posts on this subject. The grapple could also be controlled with a remote though. Again, do a search and you will find plenty of info on them here. Either of these can be installed at your dealer, or a competent hydraulics shop. Many people here have installed their own also, but if you are not equipped, and not very mechanically inclined...... i'd probably leave it to a professional.

/ Grappler & Remote Hydraulics #3  
You have several choices when installing hydraulics for a grapple. You can install a diverter that diverts one of the loader functions to the grapple with a push of a button installed on the joystick. You can add a "third function" electric/hydraulic valve and control the grapple with a push of a button installed on the joystick. You can install a true remote valve or install the factory remote valve and control the grapple using a fender mounted lever.

The first and second options are the most common and easiest to install and use. Kits are available from several manufacturers and you can also put together your own setup with parts from Surplus Center. I choose the second option, the "third function" electric/hydraulic valve setup. I purchased it from WR Long and it came complete with the joystick button, valve, mounting plate specifically for my Kubota, fittings and hoses.

If you are in southern NH you are welcome to stop by and look at my setup. You can read about it here:

Grapple and hydraulic installation

/ Grappler & Remote Hydraulics
Ductape said:
Many people here have installed their own also, but if you are not equipped, and not very mechanically inclined...... i'd probably leave it to a professional.

Agreed. I am not at all mechanically capable of this type of procedure. When I was done, the add-on hydraulics to a tractor would probably open the garage door instead ;-)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sincerely,
The Gardener

/ Grappler & Remote Hydraulics
MadReferee said:
... control the grapple with a push of a button installed on the joystick.

That sounds very nice. Your link and the many included images were extremely helpful. I want it to be as intuitive to operate as possible since my wife will be using the Grapple quite a bit as I work the chain saw. A joystick 'button' approach would be ideal.

I will discuss this with the dealer once we decide which Kubota to buy. I definitely want to add a Grapple.

Thanks So Much! and thank you for the offer to visit. I don't get down to the southern part of NH all that often. However, if and when we are able to do so, I would very much enjoy to stop in to see your Grapple assembly in person. I'll e-mail you well in advance of that possible trip.

Most Sincerely,
The Gardener

/ Grappler & Remote Hydraulics #6  
The push button on the joystick is very nice and handy. But don’t leave out remote hydraulic outlets when you order that tractor. You will find uses for them. KennyV