Grapplin' with the 5035

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #11  
I like those big, fat front tires!

206808d1301882297-grapplin-5035-grap2.jpg

I considered a 4035 when I was looking for mine, but my local Mahindra dealer was ... let's just say ... lacking :eek: I'm also not sure they offered it with the HST yet, which was a must for me :thumbsup:

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #12  
Wire,
870# shouldn't be a problem considering the specs on the 5035 w/ the 130 FEL. Mine at 700 was fine today. Nary a prob, but I haven't tackled anything REALLY heavy yet. Really depends on what you'll be lifting.

I'm running a 6' rotary mower. No worries with 43 hp at the pto.

870lbs for a grapple (even 700lbs) on a loader that lifts 2700lbs at the pivot pins will significantly reduce net lift capacity. Given that the grapple weight is forward of the pivot pins, it probably reduces net lift by about 125% of grapple weight. That means roughly a 870lb grapple will leave about 1600-1700lbs of net lift capacity. Compare that to 2200-2300 net lift with a 300-350lb grapple.

The big skidsteer grapples are obviously still of use with CUTs but they are way over built for what a CUT can dish out in punishment. Lightweight grapples in the 300-350lbs range (3/8 inch steel, 48 inch width, one upper jaw) seem to work just fine on tractors up to 50hp at least. I have an even lighter duty 48" Millonzi weighing 280lbs that has served very well over the past five years. My Kioti DK40se/KL401 has identical lift capacity as the ML130 and the tractor is about the same weight too. I've slightly bent the upper jaw tines digging out big rocks (easily fixed and reinforced) but otherwise the grapple has tolerated quite a lot of aggressive work without problems.

If I had access to a SS grapple, even one as heavy as 870lbs, I'd surely use it and it would do fine for many tasks. I do however reach the limit of lift capacity with my grapple with large stumps and logs and rocks and obvioiusly a 870lb grapple would reach limits about 500-600lbs.

Having owned a light duty grapple I can say that I'd certainly never bother paying extra for a heavier duty grapple for use on a CUT. I have never wished my grapple were any stronger than it is and I don't have any trouble picking up large amounts of brush or holding logs in place with a single upper arm either.

Everyone loves whatever type and size grapple they own. My point is just that bigger is not better in this case. I think that grapple salesmen are used to selling and sizing SS grapples and that is just a different kettle of fish. A 40 or 50hp SS has a much more powerful loader and is typically used more aggressively in commercial settings than a CUT is. The assumption that a grapple should be the same width as the primary bucket is just wrong unless your main job is collecting loose debris on the ground. Similar HP CUTs do just fine with lighter smaller grapples. I don't recall anyone with a light duty grapple complain on this forum that they wished they'd gotten a bigger grapple. There are some with big grapples who wish they'd gotten smaller. Sometimes small is beautiful And, the cost of the light duty at about the roughly $1000 plus change cost is a nice bonus.

Attachments

• IMG_3724.jpg
    IMG_3724.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 6 ft concrete barriersmallfile.jpg
    6 ft concrete barriersmallfile.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_8139smallfile.jpg
    IMG_8139smallfile.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2841 Look Ma no chains.jpg
    IMG_2841 Look Ma no chains.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5600smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5600smallfile.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3773_small.jpg
    IMG_3773_small.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3790_small.jpg
    IMG_3790_small.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 232
   / Grapplin' with the 5035 #13  
Hi Island,
Yea, I agree with all you stated in your reply. I would only use the grapple for "smaller" jobs or sometimes when using a SS would tear up the yard or someting like that. For heavier jobs, and why I purchased a heavy grapple in the first place, was for use with my 90HP NH SS. On that machine, that thing will will lift several 6"-8" or so trees in one bite. Nice picts!!

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #14  
Love the pics fellas!!! Can't tell you how much people can learn with pics ( and video). Grapple away!!,

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #15  
Love the pics fellas!!! Can't tell you how much people can learn with pics ( and video). Grapple away!!,

You know what they say, a picture is worth 3.14159 words!

Attachments

• 48 inch grapple unrooting tree with DK40sesmallfile.jpg
    48 inch grapple unrooting tree with DK40sesmallfile.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_4383smallfile.jpg
    IMG_4383smallfile.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8150smallfile.jpg
    IMG_8150smallfile.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 289
   / Grapplin' with the 5035
Great pix Island!

I need to get some more as well, but get so wrapped up in tractoring and having fun that I forget to stop and take pix.

Got a few hours of grappling in this past weekend. Have definitely improved my abilities, especially with stumping. Too much fun!:D

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #17  
Great pix Island!

I need to get some more as well, but get so wrapped up in tractoring and having fun that I forget to stop and take pix.

Got a few hours of grappling in this past weekend. Have definitely improved my abilities, especially with stumping. Too much fun!:D

I keep a retired digital camera on my tractor so if I ever see something I need to record for my own purposes or as an example for TBN I just grab it out of the cupholder. I do post a lot of photos here but use the photos mostly as a reminder of maintenance, repair or project items I need to deal with. My digital memory is a heck of a lot more accurate and reliable than either my brain or a piece of paper. The photos also are useful in domestic politics as I can show SWMBO exactly what I have accomplished while not working on her prioritized honey do list.;)

/ Grapplin' with the 5035
Yep, understood when it comes to the HouseHold 06 unit.
Mine has been slow to understand the connection between tractor "work" and "play". Fortunately, the proof is in the visuals!

She'll probably really get excited when things dry up enough around our pond so I can remove some larger stumps

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #19  
Hey Island,
I am new to TBN, but have been following TBN since early this year. I have my eye on a new 4035 with 120 FEL for some wood/timber work on our property. Like your insight on the loader/grapple weight issue. Love your grapple pics. What make and model is the one on your 5035? I have not settled on the 4035 w/loader as I beleive dealer price of 24,900 is a bit high. Although the dealer is discounting several implements and filling the tires at NC.

/ Grapplin' with the 5035 #20  
I'll let Bascom respond regarding the JD models. My tractor is a Kioti DK40se. Just to help you compare, my KL401 loader lifts about 2700lbs at the pivot pins. My grapple is a 48" Millonzi weighing about 300lbs. Similar in construction to the light duty Gator/Markham.

Last edited: