Grass build up under mower deck

/ Grass build up under mower deck #11  
Derek, I've mentioned the diesel/motor oil mixture before on the forum, and so did someone else. I doubt that the weight of the motor oil makes much difference, but I just use plain 30W myself.

Bird

/ Grass build up under mower deck #12  
Derek--On the last three mower decks I have used John Deere Slip Plate which comes in an aerosol can and while that does not prevent grass build up, it certainly eases the abiity to powerwash the deck and keep it pretty clean. (In case you are concerned about the color--it is not green but black since it contains graphite).

/ Grass build up under mower deck #13  
I had also raised this question and have been using Bird's diesel/oil mixture. I thought that diesel fuel was not as flamable as gas and that it would take more than a spark to ignite. The mixture works ok but is a pain to apply (I am using a spray bottle because I did not want to put diesel fuel under pressure with a pressure sprayer). I like the idea of the JD slip plate stuff. Is this a paint or a non drying coating? How expensive is it? Thanks Rich.

/ Grass build up under mower deck #14  
Diesel is not very flammable at all...neither is motor oil. Both will of course burn, but not like gaslone.

/ Grass build up under mower deck #15  
ejb, you're right of course, but I spray it as a very fine mist, so with it sort of atomized already, I suspect it could be explosive. I use a cheap siphon gun hooked to my air hose with another hose into my jug of diesel/motor oil, so it's very fast and easy.

Bird

/ Grass build up under mower deck #16  
Bird,

Are you using new motor oil or the left over stuff from oil changes?

SHF

/ Grass build up under mower deck #17  
Rowski--Slip Plate is an aerosol that goes on like dark gray paint and it dries to look like dark gray paint. Normally, it stays put for an entire season, but when I powerwashed the underside of my mower deck today since I had mowed a wet yard, I noticed that much of the Slip Plate had come off--there must have been some kind of coating on the deck that prevented it from sticking. Mike S.