GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which)

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #11  
Why not just go empty it a couple of times?

The main reason I liked the PTO unit was the manuverability with it installed. Just MHO.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #12  
CampMan, I bought the Trac-Vac pto vac last year. My 4.5 is hilly and I have never had a problem with power loss running a pto vac with my BX-2200 with 16 pto hp. The grass doesn't have too be short, I have cut it when it was 6-7 inches. It just fills the trailer faster. Like others have said, you have to run it slow and at full throttle.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which)
The unit is nice and compact, which is great, however, my dumping area is about 350 yards or more from the lawn area (4 acres), long haul.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #14  
I don't collect grass during summer but do collect leaves, etc in the fall with my Kubota PTO bagger. I leave the FEL on and when bags get full I dump them into FEL and then go again until bagger is full again. Much easier dumping from FEL you will find. Will cut your trips to pile in half ( I have similar issue with distance as you do). Full throttle and slow is usually best I have found. Do engage PTO slowly as it is easier on shear bolts.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #15  
I will try to get some pics together for the posting request. This week is busy at work...hopefully next week. Here is a stab at a formal review.

Purchased TracVac model CV860-IC with chipper, cart, cart cover, 8 inch chute, 3PTH, Model 190 for $2500.00 in April 2002.

I looked at several units prior to my purchase. Primary planned usage to "harvest" grass clippings several times a year for garden pathway mulch and a large compost pile. This method has eliminated my need to purchase soil ammendments for the landscaping projects underway. The only thing I buy now is several tons of sand and a tractor trailer 90 cu yds of hardwood mulch each year.

I like steel, so I was not impressed with the canvas carrier of the Cyclone. Looks like ongoing maintenance to me. Capacity was also an issue. Grass clippings, especially when freshly cut, are heavy. The capacity of the Kubota and Cyclone systems seemed limited compared to the TracVac. The "auto-unloading" features are a great idea, but never really work. Layered fresh cut grass clippings come out of the trailer only one way....by hand. When I return to the compost pile to dump, it is full to capacity and probably weighs 1500 pounds or so.

PTO versus engine was a controversial decision for me. My former BX2200 and now my BX23 always have sufficient power for whatever task I give them. The main reason I went with the separate engine drive unit was potential future use. I have a Simplicity Zeroturn and may purchase a larger zeroturn in the future. Although most zt's do not have a 3PTH or PTO, this unit would be easily adaptable with a change in the motor mounting plate to the trailer tongue. The reason I did not go with this type of engine mount in the first place was storage. The trailer sits outside under some tree cover. I bring the engine back to the garage and store it inside. In addition, I thought the engine drive model might have further resale potential in the future if I make a change. Probably doesn't fit for everyone, but that is how I thought this one through.

I had problems with the TracVac at first. Went thru 3 main engine shaft bearings as quick as I could get it back from the shop. Debris would get caught between the impeller shroud and the bearing and spin out the oil seal. Turns out to be a manufacturing defect and TracVac replaced the entire engine unit assembly and absolutey no problems since.

The hoses begin to degrade with each passing year. Duct tape helps out over small slits. I will probably have to replace one of the hoses next year: it is about $100.

The engine is very noisy. I use a db limiting radioset with microphone so I can still "hear" what is going on with the engines and loads. The engine will go thru about 3 tanks of gasoline to vacuum heavy grass clippings off of 5 acres. This is about 1 1/2 gals of gasoline compared to 3 gals of diesel for the BX. Service has been minimal with only a springtime oil change that takes about 10 minutes and daily usage air filter cleaning.

The chipper attachment a very nice feature. I have run a lot of sticks and limbs thru it. Fresh cut works better...dried pin oaks are rough to handle with a lot of vibration. It will easily take a branch 2 inches in diameter if you pay attention to the offshoot branch locations.

Since I fill the trailer to capacity, I probably exceed the design limits of the trailer, but it seems to be just fine. The only problem I have experienced is a top screen had a "blowout" this spring with leaf pickup. A replacement screen was available, but I made a replacement on my own for 1/4 the cost and it is serviceable in the future.

Hope this helps with the request for a formal review.
If you need anything else, please let me know.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which)
Thanks much for the pics and all. I was leaning toward the PTO type, however, it seems to be that the engine type would be the way to go. I'm look toward the PECO unit, maybe the PECO Pro 36. Their web is www.lawnvac.com
How were u able to get all your toys? Thanks again.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #18  
Getting all the toys is the easy part.... following thru with the negotiations is much harder. My honey-to-do list is pretty big right now.