Grasshopper vs Bad Boy

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #11  
I test drove a Ferris IS2100 after my Dixie chopper burned. The suspension was great! It rode much smoother than my Dixie chopper did. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, and I have been mowing with my front deck Kubota. I didn't use to like it, but I'm starting to like it. It mows a little slower than the ZTR did, but I can finish the job with less string trimming.

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #12  
We first cut our yard with cut with rfm and bought a 50" bushhog estate mower for trimming. Soon stopped with the cut and only used the ztr as it cut 25% off of mowing time with a 20inch narrower deck. Then I develop a health issue where all the bouncing bothered me. Did not realize how much smoother a pro model was till I cut my brothers yard when he had shoulder surgery with his pro model bushhog. Came home and told my wife we are getting new mower. So I begin my quest for best ride possible and ended up with Ferris mower with full suspension. As it goes after using it a few times and getting use to it said this is smoother? Got back on our old estate bushhog to do some work with it and about bounced out the seat compared to the Ferris. My wife who really like the Bushhog used the Ferris one day when the Bushhog was down and said, it sure is a smoother ride. Now all was not due to the suspension system of shocks and springs but some due to longer wheel base and bigger tires, but oh my as total package I would recommend it to anyone who wants to cut grass in their recliner, well not that smooth but a big improvement.
I did look at Badboys and had one shop here tell me there is issue with their no baffle deck but my concern was they are only sold here by TSC so to me no support and did look as Grasshoper and while believe their history is good just did not like them even though the shop that sells them is a friend of mine. Frankly just did not like their looks. But their front mounted sure are nice machines. I am sure TSC here sells a good many of them but in an area of many lawn care companies due to the retires do not think have seen one of them with the Bad Boys. Being fair not sure have seen over two with the Grasshopper either then think Grasshopper is much better known further North than here.

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #13  
grasshopper's reputation is right up there at the top. but if you're buying new i sure would be looking Ferris for it's suspension alone. if i were on the market again, it would be my choice.

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #14  
I bought my Ferris from a dealer nearly 300 miles away. No dealers local and he was the closest that had some in stock to test drive. Before I went to buy it, I asked him, what about warranty work? I am mechanically inclined, would he be willing to send me parts if needed? He said yes, we would be able to work something out to my satisfaction. Of course, the test would be when I need some warranty work, but have to admit, the Ferris is a well built machine and was setup properly it seems. The only issue so far (nearly 20 hrs on machine) is one back tire was low last week. I did not see anything in the tread, added air and all is good. I meant to check for leaking valve stem but forgot. I'll check it again next week and see if I need to address it.

Also seem to recall that the Ferris dealers set their own prices while Gravely dealer says they are told the prices are... don't know if that is true or not, but Ferris dealer gave me discount to help offset the long drive I had.

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #15  
I have a 2012 Bad Boy Outlaw with the Kawasaki 31 hp and have had no problems with it. They are built heavy duty as I have mowed some rough areas and it keeps going.
is your engine the FX850 ? if so I believe they are 27hp and not 31

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #16  
   / Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #17  
I have owned my Ferris now the second full summer with the only service issue main blade belt had to be replaced. Really believe it was bad for it made a noise like it was not spliced properly. That was after warranty. FYI my deck is 61 or so inches with a Kawasaki 37 hp engine. The motor does not stall, the blades may stop but the motor does not drop rpms. It does love gas. As to the price of it, bought it towards the end of the grass cutting season and got very good price on it, I think.

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #18  
My 2011 Outlaw has an FX850V with a claimed 31 HP. Here's an ebay ad that states the engine has 31 HP (31HP Kawasaki Vert Engine 1 1 8"DX4 3 8"L Twin Cylinder Snorkel AI FX85V S S | eBay) while other ads say 27HP.:confused3:

Wasn't there a change a few years ago in the way small engine manufacturers reported HP values? That may explain the different HP values.

Steve
Yeah, I think there was a class action and Kawi and others had to make some changes with HP ratings

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #19  
Thats 'cause they would rate them wide open at something like 4000-4200 RPM, but actually tell you to set them 35-3600 RPMs..

/ Grasshopper vs Bad Boy #20