Gravel Driveway Re-hab

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #21  
wvbill
where are you in the mountain state, i grew up there graduated from wvu, montani sepre libri

alex

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab
Alex:

I'm in Summit Point in the Eastern Panhandle - about 200 yards from the Virginia state line. I'm a newcomer - only been here 2 years but love it!

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #23  
hello Harv, I dont claim to know about road building. I built my road about 2 yrs ago, I just raised the road with the rock ,that way you wont have to worry about flooding. I didnt bother scraping the top off because it was about 5 feet thick of soft topsoil, I just laid down a 6 in. layer of pit run (4-5 in. rock),drove on it, than a foot thick of what we call 3/4 crush to lock it together. I figured I would have to add more rock after a while but it has not even shown any signs of deteriorating . I guess it depends on your money/time situation , I think puting fabric down if your not going to pave is overkill. (that stuff is spendy!)

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #24  
Eric -

Glad you licked your problem. Sounds like you wound up with a nice solid road. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I may wind up "raising" my road some, but as near as I can tell, the soft soil that turns into a wet sponge, in my case, is only about a foot deep at the worst spot and gradually firms up over the next hundred feet or so. It might very well be futile to try to remove it, but I guess I should make some more sample digs to see what's really down there.

Your use of large rock (pit run), topped off with finer stuff coincides pretty well with what others have suggested, so the only controversy we have left is the fabric. Some of our learned colleagues claim that without fabric, the mud will eventually squish its way up through the rock, leaving you back where you started. You may have overcome that problem by raising the level of your road high enough to prevent this from happening.

<font color=blue>I think puting fabric down if your not going to pave is overkill. (that stuff is spendy!)</font color=blue>

When it comes to projects like this, I'm a strong believer in overkill. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I've been quoted prices as low as $250 for a 12ft x 300 foot roll. Sounds like pretty reasonable insurance to me. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #25  
Gotta agree with using the fabric. The cost you quoted is about the same I've seen and when you look at the total project cost in time and money it's pretty small. I'd rather do it right ONCE, especially if you plan on owning the land for awhile. (Just remember to excavate a trench where the fabric starts and bury the end, helps anchor it in place until you get sufficient cover on top when leveling)

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab
Harv:

Where did you find the fabric? I don't think it's a Home Depot type item and was wondering where to start looking.

Is this the same as the fabric they sell for controling weeds in flower gardens?
Somebody once mentioned using silt fence - an option?

18-32378-billanim.gif
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by WVBill on 02/07/01 01:42 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #27  
Have to disagree with you on the fabric putty generally. If a person had no moisture in the ground, the road wasn't going to be used much for heavy traffic, etc. maybe. I would never build a road without that fabric again. The roads I have built with it I have had to do no maintenance at all with it. The ones without I just keep adding more gravel every year. This year I'm going to redo as much as I can with roads I've already done because I'm tired of filling in with gravel. It allows for drainage, won't break down and if a person ever has a water problem down the road it won't let your sink into the ground. You more than save for the cost of the fabric with having to put down less gravel and future maintenance. I completely understand it worked good for you but I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from using it. At $200-250 for a 300ft. roll that is only a couple loads of rock so I don't think that it's cost prohibitive at all. In Harv's case he's trying to fill in a chronically muddy area and he will be pouring rock into that hole for years without the fabric. Just my two cents and experience with it.

tractorpic.jpg

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #30  
Bill, sounds like were on the same page. I just misunderstood the total plan when I read it. As I have more and more of these darn "senior moments", more and more seems to slip by. Thanks for clearing my foggy thinking. Good luck with the project. Make sure you let us know how it works out.

The only other thought I had is if the perforated pipe will be strong enough to hold the load of say a gravel truck?

MarkV