Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #31  
A number of different approaches are discussed here. I'm a novice with our gravel driveway (moved here ~1 year ago). Can someone give me a *rough* comparison of costs? I realize costs are highly local, but it would be really useful to me have some idea of relative costs (e.g., asphalt 3x crusher run, etc.).

I'm asking both because my 20 year old ~200 ft. driveway could use some work, and because I've started working on a community gravel road that sounds like it matches scootr's situation to a tee.

Thanks!

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #32  
My drive is a quarter mile long and ten feet wide. Chip and seal was around 11k, paving quote came in at 30k and I didn't trust it.
This is in NE Ohio.

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #33  
A number of different approaches are discussed here. I'm a novice with our gravel driveway (moved here ~1 year ago). Can someone give me a *rough* comparison of costs? I realize costs are highly local, but it would be really useful to me have some idea of relative costs (e.g., asphalt 3x crusher run, etc.).

I'm asking both because my 20 year old ~200 ft. driveway could use some work, and because I've started working on a community gravel road that sounds like it matches scootr's situation to a tee.

Thanks!
Where are you, roughly?

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #34  
Should have stated that -- north-central Virginia.

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #35  
I wonder how that would hold up on top of our clay soil. Clay soil expands and contracts as you know. I dream about having it paved - but I'm sure that is just a dream.
Someone explained that the road needs some type of a sheet good laid down prior to the road material. I'm not sure what that material is.
So, there are two types of sheet good, neither of which area used my FDOT much any more; 1st type is a poly grid placed between subgrade and base, thinj overly strong snow fence; 2nd type; they called it ARMY mat, Asphalt Rubber Membrane something, basically a like a heavy rubber-tar sprayed on a fabric, with fine granite screenings spread into hot rubber-asphalt spray, between base and asphalt. That's from before my time, think they did that into the early 80s,

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #36  
Someone brought up material cost; so I can give you material only, rough, North Florida numbers, without trucking;
Ball-Field Clay/sand clay $5/ton at the pit
Limerock base $10+/ton, at the mine
Crushed concrete $15+/ton at the crusher
Asphalt Millings $30/ton straight from the milling machine; more like $40/ton a a pile at the asphalt plant; and Many won't vendor due to aggregate shortages
Superpave asphalt; Sp-12.5 or SP-9.5; about $120-150+/ton at the plant,
3000 PSI concrete, $165+/cubic yard, plus fuel/environmental charges, delivered

Edit: for anyone wondering how many tons to cover X area at Y deep; most of the materials will run 100#/sy/1" of compacted thickness, roughly; asphalt is more like 111#/sy/in.

Last edited:
   / Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #37  
Someone brought up material cost; so I can give you material only, rough, North Florida numbers, without trucking;
Asphalt Millings $30/ton straight from the milling machine; more like $40/ton a a pile at the asphalt plant; and Many won't vendor due to aggregate shortages

Edit: for anyone wondering how many tons to cover X area at Y deep; most of the materials will run 100#/sy/1" of compacted thickness, roughly; asphalt is more like 111#/sy/in.
Excellent -- thanks!

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #38  
I would be curious what other regions' prices are like, even though it will be hard to compare, with different names/different ways things are billed (ie are you paying for trucking and material as a single load price, ect).

/ Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #39  
Attached are some more local prices.

That Hot mix-recycle, I dont know what the recycle percentage is; but $100/ton is less then I expected. That limerock base is very high, as it's hauled from Ocala, and stockpiled in Jacksonville, so it's already been handled twice, and trucked 75 miles

Note: those are all FOB prices; forget the actually words its stands for but the easy way to think of it is Freight On Buyer

Screenshot_20230828_234027_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230828_234008_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230828_234015_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230828_234440_Google.jpg

Last edited:
   / Gravel Driveway - reduce/control aggregate movement #40  

Clay/sand clay $20/ton
blue stone, various aggregate sizes $45/ton
Crushed concrete $25/ton at the crusher
Asphalt Millings $15/ton straight from the milling machine; $20/ton double grind
asphalt about $150/ton
3000 PSI concrete, $195+/cubic yard

except for concrete, all p/u prices