Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab

/ Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab #21  
Bonjour Max2310

"Without a cabin , hand rotation works OK but if you want power, one cheap way is to use an ATV winch ($60-80) and modify to drive a cable that is wrapped around the snow shute in an endless loop fashion."

Thanks Piloon-- What a great idea to use an ATV Winch. I just ordered one from Ebay $44.95 including shipping. I can't wait to change mine over.

/ Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab #22  
This is my first year snowblowing. I had never snowblowed with anything ever in my life but I knew the plow truck wasn't working for me. I ordered a Pronovost Lynx 70" this fall. It is a great blower & from right there in Quebec!
I have the manual chute rotator on mine. It is the best design I have ever seen but I think I will eventually go with some sort of powered rotator 1. because I plan on making/buying a cab before next year & 2. Because it is kind of akward to turn the crank handle with the blower is down on the ground (bad ergonomics).
It has been a learning experience for me as I have snow blown: dirt, a snow shovel, a wooden pallet, about 25 rocks 1" to 2", & a 5" rock.
I broke 5 shear bolts so far (pallet, shovel, & 5" rock):eek:
I have 1000' dirt driveway. Same thing others said as far as technique, tips, etc..
The Lynx doesn't have adjustable shoes so I made my own for mine.
I want a cab BAD,...mostly because I has a nice heated cab with my plow truck & gave that up for the tractor & because I often owrk out in the cold at my job so I want to be warm when I'm off the clock.

If I were you I'd order a new Pronovost Lynx blower as wide or wider than your tractors rear tires. Made some sort of adjustable shoes for it for next winter (won't need this winter). Buy a cheap snowmoble helmet, a insulated coverall suit, super warm boots, mittens, etc.

Before you pay for your blower check it all over good. I love my blower but they messed up on the auger as it is off by about 1/2" so when you set it flat down on the driveway it goes "whomp,....whomp,....whomp.." as the auger drags on the ground in that one spot.

Good luck & God Bless

/ Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab #23  
I use a blower on gravel with no cab. I wear a balaclava, ski goggles and Santa just brough me a one piece snomobile suite. I stay warm and dry.
Shorten the top link to tilt the blower back a bit and keep it off the ground until you get a good frozen hardpack over the gravel. Then you can drop it down and scrape. Buy a handfull of shear pins and have a look at where they go and how to replace them. Just in case the need should arise on a snowy night.
I do have hydraulic chute and rotation. I find that handy for putting the snow where I want it.

/ Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab #24  
Plowing my driveway sometimes seems to take for ever. I can't believe all the people that think that snow is fun :confused:. Not when it snows every two days, snow banks are 4 feet high, there is barely no more room to put it and winter has not even started yet :eek: (well, now it is)!

:)

I like plowing snow...

Attachments

• plow truck.jpg
    plow truck.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 685
   / Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab
Similar wheels would probably be my way to go (and a nice project) but I haven't found a unit yet (all sold out).

So, I made a side panel for my rear blade and decided to forget about a blower -- at least for now...

/ Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab
I know I can weld on the ROPS (as per the manual) but can I drill holes?

This should have read: "I know I can't weld on the ROPS...". Not the same!! And I did drill small holes for some additional work lights.

I Finally bought one but my tractor is gone to the shop and we did get a considerable amount of snow lately :mad:

I was supposed to get an Econor but that's a long story.

This one is a Smyth 54" freshly made in Ontario. It's looks very simple but very rugged! I will try to post pictures in action in a new thread hopefully soon with my impressions. The only experience I have with a snow blower is with a push behind 2811 PowerMax made by Toro that can throw snow up to 45'. I don't expect that much from this new one, can't wait to see ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0469 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0469 (Medium).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 746
   / Gravel driveway, snow blower, no cab #28  
Congrats on the blower.You wont regret getting a blower hope it works out for you.Bummer on the tractor hope it isnt anything major.