gravel path=giant mess

/ gravel path=giant mess #31  
Maybe poke a few holes with some rod or a fork wherever the water gathers. Your stone will be softer there and depending on clay content of your sub-soil, the water would slowly drain away.

The crushed stone on top of the wrap won't get mushy no matter how wet it gets. That is what it is for. The ground under the wrap that is kept dry because the water can't get to it will be stronger not weaker. The only place that has a problem is the low point or edges where the water will run to and off the edge of the wrap. That spot would always be at the edge with a RR tie protecting it so should not be a problem either. If you get a low spot that collects a puddle up higher then the top of the stone dig a french drain under the tie and off to a lower point and back fill it with crushed rock. You can top over the stone in the ditch with loam so as to not have a rocky strip in the lawn. My $0.02

/ gravel path=giant mess
Path is done and 2 days ahead of schedule.
It's nice being able to stand back admire the hard work from the last week.

I spent the last 5 hours moving gravel and spreading with a rake.
I've got about 2 yards of gravel left out of 20. I will let the path settle and move as required.

Lot's of yard clean up remaining.
I will rake out the piles of dirt remaining, seed and water.

$440 worth of gravel.
$10 worth of weed barrier.
Worth it.

Attachments

• Springfield-20120511-00083.jpg
    Springfield-20120511-00083.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 922
  • Springfield-20120511-00077.jpg
    Springfield-20120511-00077.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
   / gravel path=giant mess #33  
Awsome! You did it yourself too! Nothing like that feeling of accomplishment. What's next? :D

/ gravel path=giant mess #34  
Well done. I see the dog has stopped laughing.:thumbsup:

/ gravel path=giant mess
Awsome! You did it yourself too! Nothing like that feeling of accomplishment. What's next? :D

2 lawn mowers which won't start, half ton which won't start, broken front rim on tractor, insulate attic, plant 600 trees, leaky car tire.......

/ gravel path=giant mess #36  
2 lawn mowers which won't start, half ton which won't start, broken front rim on tractor, insulate attic, plant 600 trees, leaky car tire.......

Wow!!;) Is our summer long enough to get all that done?:laughing:

/ gravel path=giant mess #37  
How did you end up pchoosing that spot for the fire pit? Seems like a long way to carry a cooler of beer, too far for me to go back and forth to the fridge :) Now the gazebo/firepit setup with electric and a fridge might be just the ticket.........:D Of course that might hasten it's demise.

/ gravel path=giant mess
The wife chose the location for the firepit.
I was out golfing and when I came home...there it was.
She wanted it far enough from the house in case the wind shifted, can't argue that!

/ gravel path=giant mess #39  
The wife chose the location for the firepit.
I was out golfing and when I came home...there it was.
She wanted it far enough from the house in case the wind shifted, can't argue that!
If she is as pretty as she is wise you are a lucky dog. :thumbsup:
Up thread you told us she was helping with the project. Brings to mind the old saying "There aint no better help then a willin wife."

/ gravel path=giant mess #40  
The rocks and such will punch holes in them. They will also degrade somewhat over time. They won't be much use as a weed block, but will do a decent job as a cheap alturntive to a geotextile product.