Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn!

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #11  
Where is your location? I have a sickle bar in Frankfort KY. Steve

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #12  
I have a question - I got the wheel weights/extenders too I think for adding dual wheels - the fellow I bought it from said they were weights.

I am debating finding another set of wheels and making it a dually and maybe doing tractor treads - any thoughts in this - benefits/drawbacks?

Very nice Gravely.
I presently have two.
The spacers are for dual wheels and are also weights.
By all means, get another set of wheels and put chains on them.
The secret to running a walk behind Gravely is not to try to muscle it.
Just hold back on the handlebar on the side of the direction you want it to go.
I'm sure you will enjoy many, many years of service with it.

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn!
Fisherridge,

I think I figured out the steering - muscling it is fighting with a horse - you wear out yourself and piss the horse off and dont get work done.

What I am dealing with is a lot of rock and ledge outcroppings where the wheel on one side goes up 8" and the sickle bar is already on the other side and everything is tilting in different directons while moving forward with the sickle bar heading towards another rock in the next few feet.

This is a chalenge for me to figure out the best way to run this machine in these conditions. I feel after doing several trial runs it would be better to use my weed wacker/brush cutter/trimmer in these areas which means the Gravely may have a limited future for the intended purpose on my terrain.

I have an older Cub Cadet GT as a second mower now that I use to cut scrub up to a 1/2" and with the deck @ 4.5" clear a lot of the rough areas, its not as manuverable as the Gravely but is OK and doesnt really like the rougher parts with ledge.

What would you do in my case?

Carl

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #14  
So, what do all you guys think about Gravely products now that Ariens Company owns Gravely??? I only have 6 hours on my new Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ zero turn mower, but thus far I couldn't be happier. I looked at a LOT of ZTR's(narrowed my final choices down to the Gravely, a Dixon DX152, a Bad Boy Outlaw 5400 and a Hustler Fastrak Super Duty 54), but the overall quality of build, features, warranty and price made the Gravely decision a no-brainer. With proper maintenance I expect this mower to outlive me(I told the wife it was a "retirement investment"...retiring in a year....and the last mower we would ever buy:0) Another influence in my decision was my next-door-neighbor who has had a 42" Ariens residential ZTR for 15 years and it still makes his lawn look like a golf course. I figured the combination of Gravely & Ariens had to yield quality products!!

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn!
DJ,

There is no comparison to a original Gravely to a new Gravely, Ariens machine or any new machine. With direct drive, 8HP engines and dinner plate size flywheels on the crank (for torque) there is no comparison.

Now, Gravely ZTR and Ariens (mostly snowblowers) have a very good brand and product, but generally speaking today the bits are the same across all manufacturers with bits here and that are there different.

I like machines - thats why I got the Gravely - its a solid machine - still trying to figure out what I will do with it tho!

I got the Ferris IS2000 ZTR - its a well built machine for the long haul- and wanted the independent suspension and the larger components on the commercial grade ZTR. I like to get one and keep it for 25-30 years - like my CC its 22 YO now and still going!

Yes these will outlast me, and I suspect your Gravely will do the same for you, just take care of it

Carl

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #16  
DJ,

There is no comparison to a original Gravely to a new Gravely, Ariens machine or any new machine. With direct drive, 8HP engines and dinner plate size flywheels on the crank (for torque) there is no comparison.

Now, Gravely ZTR and Ariens (mostly snowblowers) have a very good brand and product, but generally speaking today the bits are the same across all manufacturers with bits here and that are there different.

I like machines - thats why I got the Gravely - its a solid machine - still trying to figure out what I will do with it tho!

I got the Ferris IS2000 ZTR - its a well built machine for the long haul- and wanted the independent suspension and the larger components on the commercial grade ZTR. I like to get one and keep it for 25-30 years - like my CC its 22 YO now and still going!

Yes these will outlast me, and I suspect your Gravely will do the same for you, just take care of it

Carl

Carl_NH,

Yeah, I agree that nothing seems to be built like it was a few decades ago. And it seemed like "brand shopping" ZTR's nowadays is getting like everything else(confusing:0(
There will be 20 different "brands", but only 5 "manufacturers". Not only did I look at Gravelys(made by Ariens), but also Dixons(made by Husqvarna) and Ex-mark(made by Toro). And the "same manufacturer" brands have a wide range of pricing(for what ends up being the same product:0(
Personally, I wish there was some way to force companies to make sure you know what you are buying where you don't end up paying more money for "a different color"!!!