Gravely Lawn Tractor

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #31  
Thanks, I live in the Sylva/Balsam area. Thanks for your offer. If I can ever quit working overtime, I am going to pursue this.

John M

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #32  
Thanks, I live in the Sylva/Balsam area. Thanks for your offer. If I can ever quit working overtime, I am going to pursue this.

John M

Looks like we are about 150 miles apart .
still goes I would be glad to help any way I can.
You are right in the mountains .
Beautiful up there
We went to Bryson City This past fall

Thanks Bruce g 423 716 4611

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #33  
hello i can use some advice i have a gravely 8179 and all of a sudden lost the high range in trans ck the linkage and it seemed fine never had a problem with the machine

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #34  
If you lost high range, then it is time to take the trans apart and find out what is going on. Use the G series service manual.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #35  
hello i can use some advice i have a gravely 8179 and all of a sudden lost the high range in trans ck the linkage and it seemed fine never had a problem with the machine

Check your hi / lo range lever maybe in neutral.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #36  
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the Gravely story. I have a 1978 Gravely 8161 that I bought new. 16 horse Briggs,
good engine although I prefer Kohler, like the engine on my TroyBilt tiller. Kohlers are so smooth.

Thanks for the Gravely comments. All the weight is in the back, watch out for wheelies, I've done a couple unplanned ones.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #37  
I have 8123 that is about 30 yr old motor has been rebuilt two time and it run fine and does not use oil

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #39  
I have a model 18 G Gravely, bought new in 1989. Runs like a top. It has a 5' mower deck on it.

The 24G can be found, I've seen one or two here in southern PA. They came with a standard 6' mower deck.

If you are searching Craigslist for tractors try this: SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. It uses craigslist, but can search the entire country if you want to. You type in the distance you are willing to travel.

Great machines, easy to fix and built heavy.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #40  
just read this thread, and glad it got woken up.

First Gravely was a 16G, second an older 8199 that I bought to restore.
Except for the ZTR's, I think it's fair to say that Gravelys are high effort machines. My rider gives me a workout and I keep it well greased.
My JD LX280 drives like a Lincoln compared to the Gravely. Softer ride, almost like power steering though it isn't.
But the Gravely will cut through places I'd never take the shiny green machine. Plus it weighs twice as much and has a different mission.
And I know every square inch of it, so if it stutters, I know exactly which nanny safety switch to clean and keep going.

I honestly believe the Gravely garden tractors were built to a standard no other garden tractor has even been.
Back in the seventies, Bolens and a few other brands had some great mini tractors, but having a Gravely
with a Kohler K engine in it is like owning a 56 Chevy with a small block in it. You know it will outlast you. No question of it...
Mine has the worst smelling exhaust, hydrocarbon city, I can't see it but boy can I smell it.
I still dream of replacing that ancient motor with a new Honda or Vanguard v twin, but my recent addition of
an electronic ignition gizmo seems to have perked up the engine and given it new life. I was getting seriously tired of
sticking points after it had sat for several weeks. No longer. Fires right up, wants to get going.

I watch the local CraigsList constantly for new Gravely equipment. We are in Gravely country here, there are old line dealers
all around me. So nice used ones do come up, just like the one I bought. But for fun, nothing beats walking the back lot, the bone yard where
the old equipment is. Where you will see old garden tractors of every make and model sinking into the soil. There can be some real gems in the
back and I bet I'm not the only one who has wandered into the boneyard.