Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #21  
Gravity feed pulls limbs in surprisingly well. I have a BX-42 chipper, running on a Kubota B2920.

Yep, I just load an 8-10 foot length into the chute and stand back. I cut the lengths for my ease of handling...the chipper/shredder would consume any length.

BTW, I want to reiterate the recommendation to wear a forestry helmet, muffs and face shield. This is the one I got:
Amazon.com: Husqvarna ProForest Chain Saw Helmet System: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Works nicely and keeps those whipping branches out of your face.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #22  
   / Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #23  
Definitely. Very important. I also learned to wear a long sleeve shirt, even if it's hot out. And gloves with a tight cuff, so they won't get hung up or fill up with debris.

Very good comment about the gloves!!
With the smaller chippers, gauntlet type gloves may not be a problem...but with the industrial machines, getting a glove caught on a branch can have lethal results.
Even with our smaller chipper/shredders...several folks (including me) have described how quickly the shredders pull stuff down the chute (it's like the speed of light with my Woods 5000!). I don't know if an adult could be pulled through, but I can see the possibility of losing fingers or a hand.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper
Well, I think I've decided on a Wallenstein. I'm going to see if I can get it at a little better price through a Kubota salesman I kinda know.

Roy, thanks for the tip on that helmet. It looks like a nice set up at a reasonable price. I had intended to wear some shooting muffs I have and my hardhat from my iron working days plus some regular safety goggles. The face shield on the helmet you pointed out would be much better though. I'll probably do most of my work in the winter and I have an old leather jacket that is very form fitting and I intend to use that to protect my arms and upper torso. For doing work such as this I like to use truck drivers gloves with the jacket sleeve pulled down over the glove opening. That way there is less for something to "grab onto" and pull my hand/arm where I don't want it to go.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm still not 100% set on the Wallenstein over the Woodmaxx so any input on the Woodmaxx will still be appreciated.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #25  
Roy, thanks for the tip on that helmet. It looks like a nice set up at a reasonable price. I had intended to wear some shooting muffs I have and my hardhat from my iron working days plus some regular safety goggles. The face shield on the helmet you pointed out would be much better though.

My biggest problem (when chipping or shredding) is the smaller stuff whipping as it's pulled into the machine. I've had safety goggles knocked right off my head...also got some scratches on my face occasionally. Luckily, I never had anything whip across my eye. I've had a scratched cornea (from a fight when I was young and invulnerable). That really hurts!!!!

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #26  
Well, I think I've decided on a Wallenstein. I'm going to see if I can get it at a little better price through a Kubota salesman I kinda know.

I bought the BX42 this spring and have been happy with it over all. As mentioned, keep a 3/4" box end handy if you are chipping stuff with a lot of greenery attached as I find that is what clogs the chute. If you can afford the extra $1k for the chipper shredder I would recommend it. My CFO shot me down on that one, but I am sure I would like it better.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #27  
Definitely go with the power feed.
Dragging wood to the chipper is work enough without having to push limbs in that get stuck because they are to bushy.
They also won’t get pulled out of your hands unlike a self feeding unit.
Another reason for a power feed is the ability to stop the feed to prevent the engine from stalling.
You can also reverse it if you have a piece that gets stuck.

Thanks everyone for your advise. After reading all the replies here and in other threads I decided to order a Wallenstein BX42S. Everyone that has this unit really seems to have good luck with it. I like the simplicity of the design. I didn't order the hydraulic feed, that would have almost doubled the cost and besides, most owners say it's not necessary. I'm sure it is very nice having the hydraulic feed but I had to draw the line on cost somewhere.

The local Kubota dealer quoted me the same price delivered as the online dealers so I decided to order through him. For one thing, if there is shipping damage, he will deal with it. Plus, I like to give the locals support. Only problem is I have to pay the state sales tax.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #29  
My biggest problem (when chipping or shredding) is the smaller stuff whipping as it's pulled into the machine. I've had safety goggles knocked right off my head...also got some scratches on my face occasionally.

Bailey's - Husqvarna Pro Forest Helmet System

makes chipping a lot less hazardous to the operator.

I've also had larger limbs spin around and hit me. A few weeks ago got one directly to the top of my head. W/o the helmet I'm absolutely certain I would have been out cold. I got hit hard enough even with the helmet on I shut down and took a few minutes to regain my senses. Of all the tools I own the chipper is the one you RELAY REALLY don't want to be careless around.

It is a 10" chipper, powered by a 60hp machine so its a bit of a beast and will whip 6-8" limbs around if they catch a blade just so.

Bailey's - Husqvarna Pro Forest Helmet System

makes chipping a lot less hazardous to the operator.

I've also had larger limbs spin around and hit me. A few weeks ago got one directly to the top of my head. W/o the helmet I'm absolutely certain I would have been out cold. I got hit hard enough even with the helmet on I shut down and took a few minutes to regain my senses. Of all the tools I own the chipper is the one you RELAY REALLY don't want to be careless around.

It is a 10" chipper, powered by a 60hp machine so its a bit of a beast and will whip 6-8" limbs around if they catch a blade just so.

I definitely plan to wear a helmet with shield and ear muffs. I think that is the same helmet I ordered from Amazon delivered to my door for $42 (Texas state sales tax included). Roy provided a link to the helmet on Amazon. The helmet should be delivered Wednesday and the chipper should be at my dealer in the next couple of days (hopefully). Ten inch chipper; sounds like you have a wood eating MONSTER!! Like a few others have said, I have a wood burning stove and everything over 3" or so goes to heat the house in winter.