Gray water drainage

/ Gray water drainage #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
Built a small cabin that is used about 1x per month at best. Looking for a way to drain gray water. Have drainage pipe from cabin down hill, now what? I dug a deep trench with my hoe. I put 90 elbow droping pipe about 4 feet deep, then did u at bottom to create a trap. Brought the pipe back up about 1 foot and then a up side down u on it. It is low enough that it won't freeze. Should I back fill with sand, gravel, pee gravel, large stone, etc. Anyone know what would work best?

/ Gray water drainage #2  
You can buy a dry well here in Michigan. It is a concrete cylinder that is approximately 500 gallons in size that has numerous 4 inch round holes in the sides. Not sure how the are buried.
I have build dry wells using plastic and metal 55 gallon drums. I dug a hole approximately 6 feet deep and big enough around to fit a 55 gallon plus about 18 inches on all sides to make room for rock. I used 4 inch pvc drain pipe to get the grey water to the barrel. I cut a hole near the top of the barrel for the drain pipe to enter. Using a bi metal hole saw I cut a bunch of one inch holes all around the sides and bottom of the barrel. I filled area around the barrel with 2 inch rock and buried the barrel. The ones I built worked great. If I do any more I will dig the hole deeper and cut the bottom out of the drum, put about a foot of rock in the bottom of the hole and set the drum on the rock, attach the drain pipe into the top of the barrel and bury it. Not sure if this will work in all soils but it worked fine in California adobe. In cold climate you might want to go a little deeper and if the soil takes longer to percolate, use a larger barrel.
Farwell

/ Gray water drainage #3  
If it's just a grey water drain, why bury it?

Why not use it to water the plants?

Eddie

/ Gray water drainage #4  
I'm guessing there isn't much for landscaping at "da cabin"..

We installed our washing machine & shower drain very similarly. Only difference was fabric around the outside of the hole to prevent the dirt from washing into the rock & occupying water space.

P.S. remember if you dig & find water it isn't gonna work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Gray water drainage #5  
A 12 ga shotgun and some deer slugs are much easier way to put holes in 55 gal drum than a hole saw. Worked well for me. Plus it was fun and good target practice! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gray water drainage #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A 12 ga shotgun and some deer slugs are much easier way to put holes in 55 gal drum than a hole saw. Worked well for me. Plus it was fun and good target practice! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

LOL...Funny... great way to add enjoyment to an otherwise dreary job.

/ Gray water drainage #7  
Hib,
I did that once at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri using a 50 caliber machine gun and again in Germany using a Law rocket launcher. You are right it is much more fun.
I will keep that in mind if I do another dry well.
Farwell

/ Gray water drainage
I want to bury it to avoid any odor and bug attraction. Also, leaving the pipe above ground can lead to bugs, snakes, etc entering the pipe and coming into the cabin. The trap is to keep odors, bugs, etc from coiming in. I think I have decided to fill the trench with a course gravel up to the level of the end of the pipe. I am then going to add a length of perferated pipe, fill with some more gravel and finish with about 10" of top soil. I am also going to add a clean out in the line before it drops down in case I ever get a clog. Think this should do it.

/ Gray water drainage #9  
A pick works well to ventilate a 55gal drum. Quick, no electricity needed & you get a little workout swinging it.

/ Gray water drainage #10  
Got pickup? Get gravel.

A couple easy ways, well it's work but not too bad if you have friends or powered devices you own.

Since it's only gray water and only used occasionally it should have to be a monster project.

Dig a ditch or dig a big old hole and fill with gravel and run your gray water into the gravel via PVC. It'll filter back into the earth eventually.... Now if you have a small garden there have it close the plants will love the extra moisture in the soil.

I ain't no expert on the subject. I bet it's illegal in most places but this is just a suggestion oh what can be done in a pinch.... So if you get caught, sued etc.... I'm not responsible for whatever you do if you consider what I've said....