eBay/Craigslist "Great" deal on Ebay

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #11  
The real 'nanypapa' is in S. Florida. He recently sold some used children's clothes, board games, etc. Nothing over $25. No tractors.

List of his recent auctions.

The bogus guy who used nanypapa's name and then requested email contact could be anywhere.

I can see how these scammers steal an ebay ID. This morning I received an email saying something I sold recently hadn't arrived and the seller was threatening negative feedback. The email included a link to the disputed auction and probably would have required a login to see the terms of sale.

Except I haven't sold anything on ebay in a year and a half.

If had gone to that page, undoubtedly a page that looked flawlessly authentic, and logged in to see what he was talking about I would have handed over my ebay name and password to a scammer. Running the mouse over the 'Ebay auction URL' revealed that clicking it would have taken me to a dynamic (changeable) DSL home account in Dayton, Ohio, if I understand it correctly. (something like 'scammers-webpage.dyn-dsl-dayoh).

In the case of nanypapa he probably received a similar letter citing one of his recent real auctions so he fell for it.

Once the scammer had an ebay logon/password he probably changed the password immediately so poor nanypapa couldn't halt the scam auctions that were listed under his name.

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #12  
you guys really missed out on the auction! I bought the Kioti for 9.35!!!! I've got it home already! It only had 300 hours on it instead of 500. Still came with factory waranty!!! 8 more years! They delivered it 4 States away for free. They also threw in the 18' trailer! hahahahahahahahaha (anyone believing me???) My buddy's mom saw Jeep in a local magazine for 1.00. She didn't call because she knew it was a prank. It was in there a week later, so she decided to call and find out what was up with the 1 price tag. A guy told her that his wife had one powerball and just wanted to give the jeep away to let someone else share in the good fortune. He also went on to say nobody called until that morning. That person bought the jeep. (about 5 hours earlier!) hahahahahahaha

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #13  
gordon21 said:
He has a half a million dollars worth of bids all ending on Tuesday. I guess his paypal acct will be full on Wednesday morning.

Should we all pick one item each and bid $12,345 for each?

When I would spot a scam on ebay I usually bid $1,000,000 on it to prevent anyone else getting a winning bid. The scammers will usually cancel my bid but I would go back and rebid. That was OK when there were just a few scams. Now it seems that every other auction is a scam. This is a real problem for Ebay.

My rule for not getting scammed, don't hand over the money until you are sitting on the tractor.

BTW: These scammers are such losers. You would think they would put a little more effort into their scams. The fraudulent auctions are so pathetic.

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #14  
So you're the wise guy who bid a million on the tractor that I had for sale on ebay!!:eek:

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #16  
California said:
At the bottom of a flagrantly bogus auction click on 'Report This Auction', then on 'Listing Policy Violations'. Then in the two following submenus, click on the top choice.

I think notifying Ebay that they won't earn any fees is the only thing they pay attention to.
One more time.

I reported on the third instance of the 1948 Snocat and added the following:

, 110090745801, 110090745858, 110090746221, 110090746272, 110090746321, 110090746374, 110090747948, 110090747990

If several other send in this list, he should be gone pretty quick. :D

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #18  
I have killed so many of these auctions that I don't even bother anymore. They sprout up faster than you can kill them. Invariably, it starts with someones hijacked account. If you ever responded to one of those "verify your information requests," you can include your account in the victim list too. They then always want you to contact them from an email address different than through ebay claiming their mailbox is full. There is almost always a buy it now price of $2900 or something like that. Even when the equipment is clearly valued much higher than that. I wonder if this is because of a legal difference between grand theft / petty theft, or misdemeanor/felony, or small claims limitations, or mail fraud triggers. Anyhow, once you recognize the pattern, it is quite easy to spot. Unfortunately, I believe there are many people that do get scammed.

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #19  
I don't let my parents use eBay for the reasons you mention; however, it has been a great tool for me to purchase items I would not ordinary find.

Any email sent directly to email is deleted. Rule 1 because in order to receive communications from eBay or anyone from eBay, you should have to log on to your eBay account and check messages there....just as private messages are read here on TBN.

Check feedback is key and then actually sending a question THROUGH eBay to the seller. If they don't respond, you don't bid.

An ounce of common sense is required in the online environment today but it still works.

The last caveat is that sometimes a seller is crooked who is registered and everything. In that case, a call to the sheriffs works well...or at least it did for me. This quack sold a Rainbow vacuum to four people and took payment and then never shipped. I communicated with the other four people and gave them the sheriffs number who drove out to his mobile home and put him in jail until his wife sent all our money back. It was a hassle but it was great not to get scammed. I also had one seller claim to have shipped but I never got it. I should have checked that feedback closer. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

But again, I have spent so much on eBay--a 22,000 tractor for 17,000 with 18 hours on it, a marble fireplace from Italy for 3,000 that is unbelievable, a huge stained glass window that the appraiser listed at 12 g that I bought for 2, and on and on. Fun stuff but you have to be careful and practice due diligence.

Dan

/ "Great" deal on Ebay #20  
Big ticket items scare me on ebay, but I did buy a 1988 Chevy S10 blazer on there for $300. I was wondering if it would exist when we showed up, but it turned out great. I paid him cash when he started it and showed me that it worked.

Mostly I look on there for local items in the "Business & Industrial" section to see what might be available locally. The other day I saw this.

eBay: CASE 1550 LONGTRACK BULL DOZER TURBO DIESEL 6-WAY BLADE (item 160081391321 end time Feb-12-07 18:00:00 PST)

I'm very curious as to what he sells it for as it's the same dozer that I have. This one has a brand new paint job on it with new stickers, which always makes me nervouse, but it's also in very good condition. Better looking than mine by a long ways.

What really has me curious is how a machine that just got a brand new paint job only has 857 hours on it? That's brand new and it shouldn't need a paint job. He painted the underside too. Why paint the skid plates and rollers? With that many hours on it, it's spent the last 15 years just sitting.

He also painted the hoses, drive motors and hydraulic pumps. I've had to work on mine and can tell you that it cost me $3,000 to have a pump and motor rebuilt after I took it out and brought it in. One replacement pump from Case is $20,000 and it has three pumps.

He has $60,000 in pumps if they are in good condition with that many hours on them.

The seat shows a better indication of the amount of wear on the machine, plus he says the undercairage was rebuilt. You would never wear out the undercaraige in just a few thousand hours, much less 857. From what I can tell in the pictures, the sprocket is worn to a point and will need replacing soon. That's easy and fairly cheap, but should have been done with the other repairs, if they happend. The rails also look about half worn. I can't see anything that looks new, or where the $5,300 in new undercairage work was done.

Probably not a scam, but a machine that the owner is trying to sell and hide some problems with.

Eddie