Great Stuff, in its place

/ Great Stuff, in its place #1  

willfick

Silver Member
Tractor
1946 Farmall H, !967 Ford 3500D TLB
Other places, a pain.
I was re-working drain lines for an elderly lady neighbor, fixing it so that the showers and washing machine drained out into the woods so as to avoid $thousands to put in a new leach field. Where the new line came out through the cinder block wall I needed to fill around the pipe. I told her I'd pick up some filler mortar next trip to town. She allowed as how she had a can of Great Stuff that she had used only a little. I know that that stuff is mostly use once and discard the leftovers, but she seemed eager to help. Sure enough the nozzle was fairly plugged, but I have a reputation as resourceful so I pulled out my (twenty-two-year old, housewarming gift from my sister) Leatherman and gave it a poke. At least I was wearing gloves&glasses. The entire contents came out all at once.
I put the tool in a grocery bag to ride home on the backhoe. When I got home I looked up on Dow's website how to clean it. I quote: "There is no solvent that will remove cured polyurethane foam."
They talk about scraping, sanding, etc. Can't do that between the parts of a Leatherman.
Do any of y'all know something Dow don't?
Thanks, WM

/ Great Stuff, in its place #2  
I would think that automotive solvent (omni ms251, etc) would dissolve it. Could try paint stripper or oven cleaner.

/ Great Stuff, in its place #3  
Wonder what boiling it would do to the foam???? That is, assuming there is nothing on the tool that high heat would damage.

Here's a wild idea that might just help some...... Dip it in something really sweet like honey, then let it dry. Set it on top of a fire ant mound and come back in a day or three. If those little buggers are hungry enough (and they usually don't turn anything down), they will probably at least get the top layer off that has honey soaked into it. If they do, then just keep repeating the process until it's all gone.

At the hunt club, sometimes when somebody kills a buck and they saw a wedge into the skull to cut the antlers off, we will set the wedge (with antlers) on a fireant mound and I promise you the fireants will pick it clean in a day or three. Good luck....

/ Great Stuff, in its place #4  
I would try acetone.

E/S

/ Great Stuff, in its place #5  
M.E.K

/ Great Stuff, in its place #6  
I would rather not be anywhere near MEK but agree that acetone should take that stuff off.
Not saying MEK wouldn't work, just won't be used by me.

/ Great Stuff, in its place #7  
Use with caution and lots of protective gear for sure, fantastic for cleaning though.

/ Great Stuff, in its place #10  
Forget the MEK, acetone, gasoline, xylene... Drop it in boiling ethylene glycol (green antfreeze) Not kidding. Used it to clean nozzles and such from industrial high volume mixing equipment.