Grey water drain

/ Grey water drain
I have a similar system where I capture effluent from the washing machine for use in the garden during dry spells. I got a couple of food-grade 55 gallon barrels from the dump (free), and hooked up the washer to pump into them. I use a shallow well pump to pump uphill to the garden. Be advised the water will stink pretty badly if you don't use it in two or three days.

Do you do anything to the water or just use it as is in your garden? Everything I've read said as long as you didn't use bleach in the wash everything should be fine to use on edible plants. I could always use it to water grass and other flowers if so.

/ Grey water drain #22  
I don't use bleach and use the water as-is for the garden and lawn. There is some buildup of gunk in the bottom of the barrels that must be cleaned out periodically. Of course, you can still use the water after it starts to stink; once it dries the smell dissipates. I try to avoid splashing on fruit or veg that are close to maturity.

/ Grey water drain #23  
First I would prefer greywater to plants that I will not consume. I'm a big fan of drywells. Instead of spending money on a tank, I would just dig a drywell filled with large stones near the flower bed and pipe the grey water to that. I would also run a trench of knuckle size stones along the garden as a over flow connected to drywell. Water will migrate out and if the flower bed is on downhill slope side of drywell, water can saturate underground keeping soil most for garden and its filtered by dirt. Less worry about cleaning up the lint mess and dirt can clean up the water somewhat.

/ Grey water drain #24  
My set up... 2.5 inch PVC transitions to 4 inch corrugated / solid

P1000562.JPG

P1000566.JPG