Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar
#1,141  
Thanks...the house we're building next spring is in Central NY (in between Syracuse and Utica). More concerned about HEAT in the winter than A/C in the summer, but they're both drains on the system. We'll either be using SIPs or 6" spray foam insulated walls. My *assumption* at this point is that even if I can get the system installed (off-grid) for $25k and it lasts 10 years, the battery costs should come down during that 10 year span so that when I do have to replace them in 10+ years, it will be less.

$25k spread over 120 months (10 years) is $208 per month, but right now I'm averaging about $150 per month, so it's a bit higher.

Oh sorry, Central NY is entirely different than TX which I had assumed. That really opens up more options to choose from.

If you want to be off the grid a heating system that uses very little electric would be the way to go. Radiant in-floor heat takes only a bit of power to run the circulation pumps and boiler assuming you use NG, LP or wood as fuel. If you are willing to feed a wood stove that can be your primary heat system with something to back it up when you are gone. In tightly sealed modern homes you really need to have an air exchange system and there is no getting around powering the blowers with electric for that. You will need some AC too for 3-4 months in summer.

A gas water heater, clothes dryer, range & oven goes a long way in reducing your electric use. On or off grid a generator would be a smart investment. Off-grid I would consider it a necessary part of the system. It allows minimizing the battery capacity (i.e. 1-2 day versus 3-4 day capacity to get you through low solar periods like three days of very gloomy weather) and is the back-up for any component failure. If you want to use high power tools like a welder or large motor equipment size the generator to handle those loads.

I think a lot depends on what sort of home and lifestyle you are aiming at. Getting off the grid for $25K will be a challenge I believe. I would get quotes for complete 6 kw and 8 kw systems (DC solar panel rating) including batteries and see where that lands. That size system should be doable without giving up much if anything.

/ Grid-tied solar #1,142  
Not sure how I use this calculator, but by punching in my ZIP and using most defaults, it shows I would get 4,928 kWh per Year. I use an average of 1.1k per month (12k per year) in my EXISTING 120 year old house. We plan on building next year and I hope to have it considerably lowered. I'd prefer to go OFF GRID though as the local utility (National Grid) wants $25k to run electrical 1300 feet from the road to the house.

25K for 1300 ft of feed line seems to be way high. You can rent ditch witch or excavator and install a conduit by yourself and let them only pull the cable. Isn't the utility is required to provide free hookup to certain length and you pay only for the extra distance? Our house required about 500 ft of power line and transformer. Installed for free by the utility.

/ Grid-tied solar #1,143  
Not sure how I use this calculator, but by punching in my ZIP and using most defaults, it shows I would get 4,928 kWh per Year. I use an average of 1.1k per month (12k per year) in my EXISTING 120 year old house. We plan on building next year and I hope to have it considerably lowered. I'd prefer to go OFF GRID though as the local utility (National Grid) wants $25k to run electrical 1300 feet from the road to the house.

$25k seems like a lot for that run. We recently ran about the same distance (I think we were 1400 ft) for $6200 including the pad-mounted transformer, cable, meter, and hookup. I did have to furnish the trench, which I did with an excavator that I rented for a couple days. The electric company just dropped off the roll of cable on a trailer, I laid it in the trench, and they hooked it all up.

/ Grid-tied solar #1,144  
California is broke and doesn't lead in anyway, or anything, anymore. It's seen as one big mistake now... What not to do... The butt of jokes now... Been almost two decades since bust... The folks who built Santa Clara county and its industry are long gone, retired, or dead. What's left are the artifacts of what was... HS

Really? CA don't lead in ANY way?

/ Grid-tied solar #1,145  
I don't want to hijack the thread since it's GRID-TIED, but yes it does buy a lot of batteries, but the life span is not that long from what I am reading. That's why I was intrigued by the Tesla Home batteries that guarantee 92%+ for 10 years & the cost is very reasonable. . ;o)

I'm curious..... what real world life-spans on battery banks are you seeing discussed ? I'm a few years away from setting up my bank, so haven't done the ton of reading needed to get an accurate picture....

To guarantee 92%, a company like Tesla will have some life-span margin built in, so those should perform well over time.

With a more conventional battery, it comes down to simple maintenance - clean/coat the terminals, check electrolyte levels. I typically get 10+ years out of car batteries doing that, while the average lifespan around here (zero maintenance) is more like 5 years. Any battery system will have reduced output if terminal corrosion sets in.

Given decent maintenance, I'd expect to get more than 10 years out a good quality industrial conventional battery in a stationary application. My preference would to have the batteries in higher voltage strings (say 48v), and maintain each string above a certain capacity - say 80% of original rating. That way you are not replacing the entire bank at once, and still retaining useful capacity.

Rgds, D.

/ Grid-tied solar #1,146  
Yes, it will be interesting to see how the negotiation process of reducing the global carbon budget works out. I don't think I will be around to see that. :D It is going to be a complex blend of market forces and policy mandates with a fair amount of public will applied it seems. What people are happy with is going to change as the "compared to what alternatives" realization sinks in.

That's not to say that more elegant and acceptable technology is not needed. Perhaps once the public's willingness to address the carbon issue matures, the real debate between expending resources on wind, solar and nuclear will happen. There are folks like Hansen who say nuclear is an imperative in any scenario where carbon is greatly reduced.

We didn't build the interstate highway system before we had the vehicles that needed it, and once built it acted as a use multiplier. I see similarities in low carbon energy development but we are definitely still in the early days stage.

Good analogy with the interstate. While I see the need, it is definitely early days in the shift to distributed energy storage...... I can see the commercial world as being one of the big drivers, based on reducing operating costs in markets where TOU energy is high.

As a society, we use a massive amount of energy...... even Stewart Brand in his later years has swung over to being pro-nuclear, and I understand that reasoning.

Rgds, D.

/ Grid-tied solar #1,149  
   / Grid-tied solar #1,150  
its the overage that gets fed back to the utilities during the day and at night when you need it for lights or heat & air is when they are going to sell it back to you