Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar #531  
Well... the revised cost for the 3 kW system is $8800... not so much of a deal.

Seems the permit process and site constraints added to the bottom line.

In the old days, someone actually came out and met the owner to discuss the job... today, at least around here, all the preliminary is done via internet with Google Earth images.

/ Grid-tied solar #532  
The mini-splits used more than a central unit? Shocked by that. We were looking at mini-splits as our next move after solar.

Look into the DC powered mini-splits, they are reportedly way more efficient than the AC ones. There are quite a few DC powered appliances on the market too. When the time comes, we will be looking very hard at going with as many DC powered items as possible, from major appliances to DC powered LED lighting.

/ Grid-tied solar #533  
Look into the DC powered mini-splits, they are reportedly way more efficient than the AC ones. There are quite a few DC powered appliances on the market too. When the time comes, we will be looking very hard at going with as many DC powered items as possible, from major appliances to DC powered LED lighting.

Do you have to be on battery to use the DC? WE have to be grid tied to get the utility rebate, which is a big financial incentive.

/ Grid-tied solar #534  
I believe the mini-splits use 48v DC, so you would probably need to be battery capable to take advantage of them.

/ Grid-tied solar #535  
I believe the mini-splits use 48v DC, so you would probably need to be battery capable to take advantage of them.

I'll put it on my list to discuss with the solar guys. I would like to go to battery power at some point, but it may be phase 2. Or 3.

/ Grid-tied solar #536  
We are considering a complete off grid system, mainly because the electric company is going to want about as much to run poles and wire as the solar/wind system. Later on when they get the poles closer we may tie into the grid.

/ Grid-tied solar #537  
We are considering a complete off grid system, mainly because the electric company is going to want about as much to run poles and wire as the solar/wind system. Later on when they get the poles closer we may tie into the grid.

I would love to be off the grid, but we bought an existing house and it was all hooked up. Long term, I hope to get there.

/ Grid-tied solar #538  
When they first came out to look at ours the guy showed up at my shop which is about 250' from the house and he had a copy of a Google photo of my shop building.He was starting to measure when I found him and redirected him. Of course this caused the whole thing to start over
Well... the revised cost for the 3 kW system is $8800... not so much of a deal.

Seems the permit process and site constraints added to the bottom line.

In the old days, someone actually came out and met the owner to discuss the job... today, at least around here, all the preliminary is done via internet with Google Earth images.

/ Grid-tied solar #539  
Were you able to make the deal and if so... anything you would do differently?

/ Grid-tied solar #540  
We are nearly done.The power co. came out Friday afternoon for their final inspection and the inspector said it now goes to billing dept. who will issue the permit to operate, usually about 48 hrs..
The biggest delays on ours was the solar co. applying for permits and inspections in a timely manner which the inspector from the power co. said is common with all of the solar outfits. All and all ours went pretty fast as we signed the contract on 5/24/14 with the expectation that it would take til the first week of Aug. and it looks like it will be 2-3 weeks sooner.The reason for this is it was a cash deal.If the solar co. had applied for permits and requested inspection when we were ready for them it would have been 2 weeks earlier so you have to remember the old "squeaky wheel" theory.