Grill danger

/ Grill danger #11  
I may be a minority here but have never used any type of wire brush to clean my grill grates. My method is to cut a groove in a flat section of foot long quarter inch thick oak, and scrape away. Thanks for the heads up on the danger of using a wire brush, I will pass it along to others.

/ Grill danger #12  
I always preheat the grill to 600 degrees, pretty much nothing left on the grates but ash. Then a quick brush and everything's clean.

/ Grill danger #13  
A bit more info:
Danger of grill brushes identified

Seems that these cases resulted from the grills being cleaned with wire brushes and some wires broke off (and stuck to the grill). The wires adhered to the meat being (subsequently) cooked. When the meat was eaten, the wires were also ingested.

Roy,
I was raised on fried meat and potatoes in a cast iron skillet. My mom scrubbed the skillets with Brillo steel mesh pads. No wonder I burp:D

/ Grill danger #14  
Interesting! I use a stainless steel wire brush that I only use on the grill. Both the grill and the brush are about 15 years old and get used about twice a week. The brush is still in pretty good shape.

/ Grill danger #16  
I only clean my grill with a brass brush once it's near cooking temp...And I check it for bristles...Never seen any so far...

/ Grill danger #17  
I would not be surprised if the suspect grill brush was made in china since I've never heard of this happening before. The brass one I use is about 15 yr old and I only brush the grill after it's been burnt off and dry.

/ Grill danger #18  
I bring a magnet when I buy BBQ brushes.
The ElCheepo's tend to be steel that is brass plated and they rust, get thin and brittle then bits and pieces break off.
REAL brass wont do that!

/ Grill danger #19  
I bring a magnet when I buy BBQ brushes.
The ElCheepo's tend to be steel that is brass plated and they rust, get thin and brittle then bits and pieces break off.
REAL brass wont do that!

True...if I remember correctly, my brass brush wasn't anywhere near cheap.