Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?
Thanks Carl. When I do my practice welds I'll beat up a couple and take some before and after photos.

I took a look at the Miller link. With the 187 am I able to do spray or is that strictly a short circuit transfer machine?

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #13  
You can't get to spray voltages with a 187, even on 220v (if that even has the dual voltage option available?). You need 24-25 V and 200A+ of current, and the 187 appears to top out around 20v. Th calculator is your friend

Miller - MIG Welding Calculator

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #14  
With the 187 am I able to do spray or is that strictly a short circuit transfer machine?
Like dstig1 says, I don't think you can get to spray with your machine. I've only played with spray a little bit. From what I understand your only chance might be with 98% argon, and 2% oxygen.
Here is my results with my V350-Pro with 90% argon and 10% Co2. This was with .035" Lincoln L-56 wire. Note the amount of voltage 29.0! It didn't take long until my 200-amp Mig gun was so hot the contact tip was soft!
To be honest with you, for people like us, I don't think spray is worth all the trouble. In a high production shop, yes! For us hobbyist type, nope!

Attachments

• A 29.0.JPG
    A 29.0.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 233
   / Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #15  
If I'm not mistaken the bevel is actually there for the weld? Kind of like cutting/grinding a V into big pieces when welding.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #16  
One thing to think about. If you really want to put these hooks on correctly? Is space them up a little. When I built my gooseneck adapter for my trailer. I beveled the vertical beams, but also spaced them up a little.

Attachments

• Knife edge.jpg
    Knife edge.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Full pin 1.jpg
    Full pin 1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Full pin 2.jpg
    Full pin 2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 193
   / Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #17  
I always thought when welding flush pieces that the edges should be beveled to give the weld more hold...??

Weld joints are normally beveled for better penetration.
I wouldn't grind those bevels off the hooks.

Thanks all. The bevels stay. Carl, if I read your post correctly in comparison to the photos, are you recommending that I lift the hooks up slightly from the surface I'm going to weld them to? If so, what do recommend, 1/16th or so?

Gotta love this forum....just think how bad I'd screw things up without all of you guys!

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #19  
Thanks all. The bevels stay. Carl, if I read your post correctly in comparison to the photos, are you recommending that I lift the hooks up slightly from the surface I'm going to weld them to? If so, what do recommend, 1/16th or so?

Gotta love this forum....just think how bad I'd screw things up without all of you guys!

I'm not going to answer for Carl...but I will recommend you concentrate the heat on the hooks until the puddle forms. Those are solid forgings and you do want to ensure you get good fusion in both the hook and the lighter gage metal of the bucket.

I'm not going to answer for Carl...but I will recommend you concentrate the heat on the hooks until the puddle forms. Those are solid forgings and you do want to ensure you get good fusion in both the hook and the lighter gage metal of the bucket.

Thanks Roy. I'm going to weld the hooks to a 3/16th thick 3X3 angle that I'm going to run across the top of the bucket. I'm going to weld the angle to the top lip of the bucket and to the back of the bucket to strengthen everything.