Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this?

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this?
Now you guys are talking me into buying the bottle and regulator and setting this thing up properly!

I would like to learn fine work like those examples.

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #12  
I think TIG would be great fun... someday when I have more time than the grind, I will set myself up with an A/C TIG and play with aluminum. I still haven't fired up my spool gun that I got with my MIG!

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #13  
Now you guys are talking me into buying the bottle and regulator and setting this thing up properly!

I would like to learn fine work like those examples.

Then you have what you need, and apparently at a bargain basement price. The regulator is cheap, about $25, and you can rent a bottle in most places if you want. Go to ebay or HTP and get the regulator.. One like this is fine:

small CGA 580 flowmeter.JPG

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #14  
After reading about the Griz. The only downside to it that I see is that it only has an on off switch on the torch. While it does have 4T so you don't have to hold down the paddle once the weld is started, You have no type of remote amp control either on the torch or foot control. You simply set the amperage and start the weld. If you are doing thin material you will have to use the pulse feature to keep the work from getting too hot as you go. Start it out at 1 pulse per second until you get the hang of it.

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #15  
Grizzly H8153 220V TIG-Pulse 160 amp, Stick 130 amp welder.

h8153-92abc09be4a8075ccd7775018ca8f493.jpg

I just picked this up at a garage sale. I don't have a 220V outlet here at home in town to see if it works so I'll have to wait until I get back to the ranch next week to try it.

All I can find online is a couple of reviews when Grizzly sold these in 2007, its manuals, and Grizzly's listing showing it is discontinued and no parts available. It sold back then for $525. Hopefully it's a step above Harbor Freight's $400 #62486 that has similar specs.

I need to read the manual but my question here is does anyone have one of these, and is it a competent tool? What can I expect for reliability considering its an orphan?

I didn't pay much for it so as I noted in another thread this is one of those gambles where you win more often than not, but its definitely a gamble.

Comments welcome!
Get an adapter and plug it into the dryer or stove outlet.

plug it into the dryer or stove outlet.
I don't have any 240V outlets in this house in town. (Everything is natural gas).

At the ranch I have a dryer-type outlet in my shop for my 230A AC stick welder. If this rain ever lets up I'll get over there to try these modern welders I just bought. Meanwhile I'm trying to learn what I can.

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #17  
Get an adapter and plug it into the dryer or stove outlet.
I hate to admit it... but I made an adapter and ran a heavy duty extension cord to my shop to power my 220v Mig, compressor, and tablesaw. Pain in the arse to keep plugging in unplugging though. I so need to install a sub panel in my garage.

Well you win some, lose some. This time's a winner!

I got back to the ranch, cobbled together a dryer outlet to welder cord adapter, and started the other welder of the two I got in this deal. It works fine.

This second one is the current production Harbor Freight MIG 180, model 68886. He modded it with heavier 10 ft stinger, ground cable, and clamp, replacing the HF 6 ft components. Also a big capacitor added, a mystery relay, and copper buss bars replacing some wiring. I've seen threads on upgrading this welder, it looks like he took this to the ultimate.

The guy who sold me these two welders seemed to be a hobbyist, I think retired machinist, who loves to tinker with stuff and all the work looks first rate. He threw in the original HF stinger. On Ebay I see people offering this at $59 & up. If I can get half that for mine (it no longer fits the larger connectors) I've made back what I paid for both welders! Score this gamble a win. Tomorrow I'll set up the Grizzly Tig.

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #19  
Will do 1/8 very comfortable.

Everything works!

Yesterday I set up the modded Harbor Freight Mig 180, everything worked as it should.

Today I cobbled together power-cord adapters to get power into the Grizzly Tig. (When I go to town I'll buy a regular 50 amp plug for it to match my other stuff.) Since I don't have gas attached I set it on minimum power and 0.5 sec pulse, (to not overheat the tip) and ran it for a moment. It's all there.

Then I switched to Stick mode, attached that cable, and tried 1/8" 6011. That sure welds cleaner than the same rod run from my 230A-AC Montgomery Wards antique.

Both welders, the HF mig and the Grizzly Tig, are keepers.

I can't understand why he offered them for so little. Not stolen, he provided the purchase receipt for the HF, both manuals, and I found where he has discussed both online including the mods to the HF. He said they had to be sold before he moved this weekend, I guess that's the explanation. His online posts show he has moved up to larger pro welders so these really were unneeded.

I'm happy. :jump::jump::jump: :cheerful::cheerful::cheerful: