Rake Ground driven side delivery rake

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #11  
I have the 8' Estate Rake you show in your second post. I've only used it a couple times, but it does a pretty good job. Multiple passes (2) does a better job. Also does a good job at dethatching the lawn if you set the wheels low enough. I inially looked at "hay equipment" when I was looking for a rake for a larger yard. I think the rake in your 1st post will not work very well on fine, short grass clippings. It is designed for larger straw/hay. The larger wheel rake shown in your 3rd post may work ok - though the spacing of the "fingers" may be a little wide as well. With the "Estate rake", the wheels are smaller and finger spacing narrower than a standard hay wheel rake.
The best pricing I found on the Estate Rake was from www.agri-supply.com/catmain/2600051.htm Their website only lists pricing for the 4' model, but if you contact them they can get the 8' one. If I remember right their price was about $600 including shipping - significantly cheaper than Northern!

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #12  
The first rake, the NH 56, will not rake up short grass clippings. It would be a rare find to get one for under $400 here in southern Minnesota, more likely $800-1000. I've pulled my NH55 with a Kubota 7100 as well, 16hp tractor - works just fine for power, tho you are pretty close to the dust! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But this rake will not handle lawn clippings, don't bother. For raking hay for baling, these are number 1 in popularity here. But it will not work with short fine grass clippings.

The second one won't work as pictured of course! But i'll assume the photo was flipped and it's actually build right.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It is your best bet. I've never used one. Seem to be about $400 new around here.

The third rake would probably work better then the NH rake, but again it is designed for longer hay, and might just scatter your grass clippings, not windrow them.

--->Paul

/ Ground driven side delivery rake
Ken- The NH #56 side delivery rake (and other's like it) is driven by the ground, correct? If so, why could it not be pulled by a Farmall A? Also, do you or anyone else know if a smaller version of this style rake? I realize this one may be too heavy to pull, but I'm sure there are other smaller ones out there.

I'm starting to believe my first gut feeling that this style of rake will not be able to pick up grass too well.

Bird- When you used the rake under your pecan trees, did the reel (?) spin pretty fast compared to a slow ground speed. What I'm getting at is this: If it spins fast, it may work fine for grass. BTW, were you trying to rake up leaves or pecans? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RLW- Do you have a hard time keeping the estate rake going straight behind you, or does it "crab-walk" a little? I've heard that you need plenty of weight to keep it following you in a straight line. Also, is the rake height infinitely adjustable? Could you elaborate on the adjustability? what's the diameter of the wheels?

Rambler- The estate rake pic in my second post is correct. I guess It may look like it's upside down, but it's pictured correctly.

It seems the estate rake will be the best solution. I was just concerned that a non-powered rake won't work too well.

John

/ Ground driven side delivery rake
Rambler- here's a little different angle on the estate rake.

Attachments

• 259694-estate_rakeBig.gif
    259694-estate_rakeBig.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 437
   / Ground driven side delivery rake #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( did the reel (?) spin pretty fast compared to a slow ground speed)</font>

No, it spins too slow. I don't know what the ratio or speed is, but it worked fine for hay; Johnson grass, coastal, rye, and mixed grasses. And yes, it might work much better if it were spinning faster if it didn't come apart. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was pretty old and well worn, but still working for hay.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( were you trying to rake up leaves or pecans? )</font>

Leaves, grass, and small twigs to clean the ground before the pecans fell.

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #16  
While I have never used a small estate rake, every wheel rake I've ever seen has had the fingers on the rake pointed like they are on your bigger wheel rake (third one) so they would slightly straighten out as they drag on the ground.

In your pictures of the estate rake, it appears the 'rake wheels' are mounted backwards, and would compress & bust the fingers. I'm guessing the picture nagative was flipped, or I don't know what I'm talking about.

--->Paul

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #17  
This may be a really dumb idea, but I see "yard sweepers" at the box stores for pulling behind riding mowers and picking up leaves and, presumably, grass. I guess they wouldn't have the kind of capacity you want, but might one be modified in some way? My mower is a side discharge, and the windrows I get when I am late getting to the job look like they'd be easy to pick up with one of those.

Chuck

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #18  
<font color="red"> but
the little Kubota sure had no problem pulling it.</font>

You are right about no trouble to pull--The problem is the the total weight of the old NH 55-56-256 rakes--It weighs in at about 1400 lbs and becomes dangerous to operate only when going up or down grade--It wants to push the tractor, especially when damp hay or field conditions exist. -Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co. *Since 1977*

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #19  
<font color="red"> did the reel (?) spin pretty fast
compared to a slow ground speed. </font>
HI John--You can speed up the cage spin rotation by putting the lowest profile tire on these 15 inch rims as possible--Smaller diameter the tire, faster the cage spin.--By the way, Do you know the maximum down pressure weight that your tractor drawbar is rated for?--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co.

/ Ground driven side delivery rake #20  
I think the "wheels" are 24" to 30" diameter. I never put any weight on the rake when I used it. I can't recall if it crab-walked - it may have slightly.
For adjustment:
As you can tell from the picture, there are two sets of 3 wheels. The height of the arms can be changed in order to set the amount of ground engagement. Height is via a turnbuckle and attached cables. The arms also pivot to help maintain contact on uneven ground. It takes a few iterations to get the height set for best pickup.
It's a bit of a pain if you need to raise and lower the arms a lot while using the rake such as moving to different areas of the yard. The hydraulic cylinder add-on would certainly make life easier. I just left it down the entire time.