Ground leveling 8 grass acres

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #1  

Paul2000

Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I have 8 acres of grass that use to be a farm. The problem is it is rough to mow. It is about 100 yards wide by 325 yards deep rectangle. I think it had plowed furrows the length of the field and over time with rain it packed and grew grass. I would like to get it smooth where I could move over it much faster with either the tractor and finish deck or even a zero turn mower.

I have a New Holland TC45 4wd tractor with industrial tires. I also have a 6 ft boxblade. I am willing to do sections at a time so I can have some yard while the rest regrows grass. I was considering getting a rotor tiller but I'm sure there is a better faster way. Any suggestions for the project are greatly appreciated.

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #2  
the box blade is your best bet. And you wont have to wait long for the grass to come back, with just the finest scattering of seed you should be back to mowing within 3 or 4 weeks:thumbsup:

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #3  
If the ruts are from plowing like you suspect, I'm not sure the box blade is the way to go. It may be faster and easier to plow again and disk smooth. If the ruts aren't that deep the box blade will probably work fine.

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #4  
You are going to to need to do some type of tillage first. Chances are that your box blade isn't going to cut through the sod if you dont break it up first. Mow it as close as you can, then disk or till it to break it up. Use your box blade as needed to level it out, then drag it and seed it. An old box spring from a bed, or section of chain link fence work great for a drag before seeding.

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #5  
I think a grading scraper such as the Land Pride GS1572 I just got would do the trick.

Just drop your 3PH all the way down & drive; That's it. It weighs 594 lbs. The skids do a better job of levelling than a box blade.

Also, the blades are slightly angled to sort of cut into material, rather than bumping square against it like a box blade does.

I just used mine to level/ smooth the dirt for a new fence line, & even with many cut-off vines still sticking up out of the ground (it ripped them right out), it did a great job, better than I ever got with a box blade, which seems to follow existing dips & rises too much, & actually exaggerate & worsen them.

Edit: Also, note that the Land Pride grading scrapers have scarifier teeth for ripping stuff up.

Edit 2: After re-reading your OP & seeing that you have a box blade, I'd use that first & see how it works. Heck, you've already got it. If the ground is hard, put the scarifier teeth down.

3077490_1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ground leveling 8 grass acres #6  
I agree with the "farmer's solution". Either plow/disc/cultipack/re-seed, or if the bumps/furrows aren't that bad, go with a big (80hp) tractor and a heavy, aggressive disc. The grass will come back, or you could broadcast fresh seed.

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres
Thanks guys. I mow it now, it is just bumpy in places and when I turn to mow in the shorter direction it has many more bumps. It takes a while to mow and I was hoping I could smooth it down to where I could either mow at a much faster speed (the mower is capable if it is not too rough) or mow it with a zero turn radius mower at a fast speed. It looks like a disk might be the way to do it but I will try the box blade first. I will continue to check the thread in case new ideas come up. thanks again.

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #8  
plow again and disk smooth/QUOTE]

And then follow up with a wide drag to get really smooth.:thumbsup:

Leave the box blade in the shed.

/ Ground leveling 8 grass acres #9  
Leave the box blade in the shed.

+1

for 8 acers! unless your box blade comes attached to 6 wheels and looks a lot like this
98577498_1thumb_550x410.jpg

otherwise the best bet is a larger tractor with a disc, then a cultivator and finish it out with a drag (as noted before)