Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone?

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone? #1  

deanocraft

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1529
I posted my groundhog gumbo story to another thread here on TBN and I have been advised that some folks here might like it. I recently shot a groundhog that was living on my land. I don't want them starting a colony here, so I kill them when I can. Generally speaking, I don't like to kill things and not eat them so I decided to make a gumbo. I'm from Louisiana and so I have a couple recipes...

I cut the meat off the bone and then cut ALL the fat off. I understand that they have glands in the fat around their legs that will not taste good cooked, so cut it all out! Next, I chunked it into bite sized pieces and browned it in butter in a skillet and set that aside.

I make a roux with 4 heaping tablespoons of all purpose flour and one tablespoon of gumbo file, (ground sassafras). I make a dry roux and then add a half a stick of butter to the dry browned flour/file mixture once it has cooled a little. It does not really matter if you make a dry roux or a traditional one. When the roux is browned and the butter or oil is added it should be the consistency of peanut butter.

Add the following:
Most of a bunch of celery, chopped small
One yellow onion, chopped
One Bell pepper, chopped
One can of Rotel
One can of crushed tomatoes, (or diced)...
Saute that mixture until the veggies get soft. I put the top on and let the veggies make water.

Two lbs of chopped okra
About 10 cups of water, depending on the size of the pot you're using
Throw in your browned groundhog meat

I like it spicy, so I hit it with probably 10 shots of Tabasco, and maybe a couple shots of a more potent hot sauce from my collection... The rule is to season to taste! that will include probably a spoon full of salt...

Cook that at a rolling boil for a while and then as it cooks down, reduce to a simmer. I cook it down for about 2.5 hrs, or until I get the desired consistency.

Serve it over a scoop of rice.

IMG_2460.JPGIMG_2455.JPG

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone? #2  
Tell us how it tastes compared to other game......

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone?
It tasted like beef. I made a stew once with a groundhog and it tasted like a cross between venison and beef, but more like beef. It was very tasty. Not really wild tasting at all. They pretty much eat plants.

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone? #5  
Any one for roasted rat. Parts of the world all rodents are delicacies. I was nuts about squirrel (tree rats) in my youth. Always good camp meat.

Ron

Have killed, skinned and cleaned, and eaten a wagon load of squirrels...and rabbits also. Rats are out of the question, as are snakes, slugs, racoon and possum.

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone? #6  
I don't like animals being killed simply because they are a pest. I read years ago that Groundhog meat is great. They eat the best of everything and don't run themselves stingy like a rabbit.

I wish I didn't eat meat, but I envy those that can kill and eat all kinds of stuff.

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone? #7  
I wish you lived closer, I have two large groundhogs I have been trying to get rid of for like 3 years, they are fat, are eating good looks like but they are destructive in the stalls and lean to, constantly digging up the foundation. What a nuisance they are.

Anyway, looks good.

/ Groundhog Gumbo, Anyone? #8  
I had ground hogs destroy the sound insulation in my Kubota loader and Dodge Dakota. People argue, it wasn't a groundhog but I caught them in the act. Maybe they were getting revenge for my former killing campagne against them. I feel bad as they got some disease years ago and it went from there being hundreds on this hundred acres to zero! The planet is very sick! Few insects, birds or much else.