Grrrrrr

/ Grrrrrr #31  
You guys with the non starting reminds me of the guy who bought a chain saw because the salesman guaranteed it would cut 5 cords of wood a day. A few days later the guy brought it in said the salesman was a lying #$%%^ and no way could he cut more than a cord a day with it. The salesman couldnt understand it and thought if must not be running right so he pull the cord a couple of times and it fires up and runs perfect. The guy jumps up and hollers, "Whats that noise"

I like it.. Good joke,thanks

/ Grrrrrr #32  
Maybe useful...

Most small engine repair people I know have a pattern to start unfamiliar equipment,, and I have noticed it is almost always the same. They choke to an over rich condition, and then take the choke off, and keep pulling until the proper lean mixture fires up.

I have found this to be almost universally reliable. I have started generators and other small gas engines that do not have primers on the carb, in below zero temps, by putting a tablespoon of gas on the air filter, (over rich), and then pulling until it leans out enough to ignite.

Maybe this is useful to some.

/ Grrrrrr
You guys with the non starting reminds me of the guy who bought a chain saw because the salesman guaranteed it would cut 5 cords of wood a day. A few days later the guy brought it in said the salesman was a lying #$%%^ and no way could he cut more than a cord a day with it. The salesman couldnt understand it and thought if must not be running right so he pull the cord a couple of times and it fires up and runs perfect. The guy jumps up and hollers, "Whats that noise"

Ouch. Ok. life is a learning experience and some of us take longer...:)
5 cords, yeah maybe with an automated wood processor, but this guy was doomed to start. At about cord four he'd be dead with a massive coronary.
ok, where's my electric start chain saw? Not if it will come but when.

/ Grrrrrr #34  
I put the new chain on the 450 today, it made more noise, a whirring noise, and while it cut ok, the bar smoked at the end. And when I compared old and new chains, not sure they are exactly the same, so going to
inspect further before I run them again. Used the big saw and even with a not perfectly sharp chain, it ate the logs easily.
Getting down to the bottom of the second full pile of logs. Might wait on making another unless I have a really cold winter day; right now it's mud city.

my new log holder worked quite nicely. Clearly one can't cut in the middle of the saw or it will yank the wood your way, but cutting where I think one is supposed to, near the motor, the logs just fell off zip zip.
Yeah, you have to lug the log to it, but this way nowhere near the ground, and the whole thing is visible.

now that I'm not flooding it, the 600 starts just fine.

I have the same model log holder and love it. In some areas I get some 40' sun starved pines and firs with no branches and 6" butts. You can balance them and lock them in the holder, mark the cuts with a paint can, and work alternately from both ends. Takes a few minutes compared to lots of messing with a small tree otherwise. And it is much safer than trying to stabilise a small tree with your foot.

One thing that helps stabilise the tree in the holder while cutting is to lower the motor end of the saw so it is dragging down a bit more rather than straight sideways. Also, reefing down firmly to set the teeth more deeply in the tree helps. There is a good video on Youtube that shows these tricks.

Last edited:
   / Grrrrrr #35  
I am clearing my land and I have 3 echo saws , cs-300/cs-520/cs-670 and the 300 is the best all around saw I have ever had but the 670 is a cutting machine just a little heavy but after the 20th tree of the day they are all a little heavy ! I used to be a stihl only guy but the cost of repairs and initial cost changed my mind , When I first got my 670 it was hard to start then I learned after 2 weeks of messing with it when cold 2 pulls full choke then 1 pull no choke and starts every time after that it's a 1 pull start saw every time . I love my Echo saws and have dropped over 600 trees this year with no repairs to any of them !:thumbsup:

That's a good testimonial for Echo. And you obviously know what you are doing with felling trees.

Last edited:
   / Grrrrrr #36  
too wet and foggy to be out today but did run my saws to the local shop where I bought them and they confirmed I had bought the next larger pitch chain from the other dealer.
Its the "more aggressive?" pitched chain similar to what was on the 24 bar, but sized for my 450's 18.
And it likely mucked with the bar a bit, which luckily I had thoroughly greased. But we both eyeballed the bar and the channel still looked pretty good.
Having two saws with two different pitches is something apparently I have to get used to.

I think you mean "gauge". Pitch is the distance between drive links, guage is the width of the drive links. Pitch change would not affect the bar, only he sprocket.

Harry K

/ Grrrrrr
I think you mean "gauge". Pitch is the distance between drive links, guage is the width of the drive links. Pitch change would not affect the bar, only he sprocket.

Harry K

thanks Harry, you're absolutely right.