Grrrrrr

/ Grrrrrr #11  
Yep almost all my saws are like that 2 pulls choke, 1 pull NO CHOKE. Your just flooding it leaving the choke ON and no go.

/ Grrrrrr
Yep almost all my saws are like that 2 pulls choke, 1 pull NO CHOKE. Your just flooding it leaving the choke ON and no go.

wiser words were never said

/ Grrrrrr #13  
I learned after 2 weeks of messing with it when cold 2 pulls full choke then 1 pull no choke and starts every time after that it's a 1 pull start saw every time .

That's what I learned today. After a second trip to the dealer this morning, I get to the barn, and again, no joy. I could just not believe it.
So I cut what I could with the smaller saw and on the way home I stopped at the dealer again. Last time, strike three.
I asked him to watch me. And he said whoa when I pulled four times with the choke on. Apparently it won't start until the choke is then turned off. Strange but ok if I knew this ahead of time.
Dealer: I told you no choke after two pulls
Me: never heard that
Dealer: I guess I said it too softly.
Groan.
So...just like the not so grumpy old man said, just have to figure it out. Never had an engine start like that, they always fired off on choke, not off choke.
It's relative sensitivity to choke was blamed on emission control. Ok.
If it doesn't start tomorrow morning for me, I'm getting a new one, my mojo is shot with this one.

Chainsaws and just about any 2 stroke can sometimes give you a stroke when they get CRANKY ,tonite don't leave it in the barn ,leave it in your truck and cuss at it when you shut the door ,tomorrow get it out of the truck cuss at it and then start it ,It will run great for the rest of it's life ,sometimes you have to remind them they are getting ready to lose a good home and they will straighten up and run right ,works every time you just have to show them who's boss ! :laughing::drink:

/ Grrrrrr
Well, I guess I have to fess up. Not only did my brand new chainsaw not start again today, but in dumping the last load of rounds I did with the smaller saw, I nicked my large, carefully stacked firewood stack with the FEL teeth, and the one end came tumbling down. It was time to go home. All the staring at that pile would not make the fallen firewood jump back up. Tomorrow it will rain, so a day off, then back at it.
Some days you just have to fold them.

And yes, I did start up the saw and run it. Just to make sure it didn't yet understand who was boss.
GGRRRRRR becomes RRRRR RRRRR

/ Grrrrrr #15  
I learned after 2 weeks of messing with it when cold 2 pulls full choke then 1 pull no choke and starts every time after that it's a 1 pull start saw every time .

That's what I learned today. After a second trip to the dealer this morning, I get to the barn, and again, no joy. I could just not believe it.
So I cut what I could with the smaller saw and on the way home I stopped at the dealer again. Last time, strike three.
I asked him to watch me. And he said whoa when I pulled four times with the choke on. Apparently it won't start until the choke is then turned off. Strange but ok if I knew this ahead of time.
Dealer: I told you no choke after two pulls
Me: never heard that
Dealer: I guess I said it too softly.
Groan.
So...just like the not so grumpy old man said, just have to figure it out. Never had an engine start like that, they always fired off on choke, not off choke.
It's relative sensitivity to choke was blamed on emission control. Ok.
If it doesn't start tomorrow morning for me, I'm getting a new one, my mojo is shot with this one.

Odd, every chainsaw...make that every 2-stroke engine I have had (quite a few different makes) all started that way "Choke on, pull till it barks, choke off and one pull"

Stihl is notorious for flooding if you pull one time more than the 'pop' with the choke on.

Harry K

/ Grrrrrr
well, I can now see why chainsaws have always given me fits to start. I simply did not know this.
My other Echo starts on the second pull every time, with the choke on, I push the choke in, it runs at a high idle, and then calms down when I goose the throttle.
Rain kind of fizzled today so maybe I'll get some work out of my new saw today.
Appreciate all the feedback; I clearly had something to learn here.

/ Grrrrrr
P1010819.jpgP1010820.jpgP1010823.jpgP1010833.jpgP1010842 (2).jpgP1010843 (2).jpgwhat a difference a day makes. The Echo ate logs until I was just too tired to go on. The weight is an issue, but the longer bar also means I'm bending over less, and
I had a very good first day with my new saw that now starts just fine. Had to cut off some stumps so I dulled the blade a bit, but the spare will go on tomorrow.
The flurry of wood chips flying out of this larger saw was fun to see. But then there was some sawdust mixed in with the chips and I knew I had munched on the wrong thing.
Overall, very pleased. Not pleased with mud, finally had to go get some gravel and spread it around in my working area. And my pile of rounds to split is growing, just like I like it.

Appears I have a casualty on the grapple, hydraulic fluid leaking nicely from the cylinder I believe. Maybe I was a little too enthusiastic with my grappling...
Will get that fixed later this week.

Attachments

• P1010825.jpg
    P1010825.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
   / Grrrrrr #18  
what a difference a day makes. The Echo ate logs until I was just too tired to go on. The weight is an issue, but the longer bar also means I'm bending over less, and
I had a very good first day with my new saw that now starts just fine. Had to cut off some stumps so I dulled the blade a bit, but the spare will go on tomorrow.
The flurry of wood chips flying out of this larger saw was fun to see. But then there was some sawdust mixed in with the chips and I knew I had munched on the wrong thing.
Overall, very pleased. Not pleased with mud, finally had to go get some gravel and spread it around in my working area. And my pile of rounds to split is growing, just like I like it.

Appears I have a casualty on the grapple, hydraulic fluid leaking nicely from the cylinder I believe. Maybe I was a little too enthusiastic with my grappling...
Will get that fixed later this week.[/QUOTE]

I have a bad case of cabing fever. somewhere north of 10 cords of Black Locust to split/pile but toomuddy to work around the splitting block. Just saw the weather and it looks like the ground will freeze up tomorrow night. Yay!!

Harry K

/ Grrrrrr #19  
I'm a big fan of echo saws cs-400/cs-520/cs-670 :thumbsup:001.jpg the cs-400 I think is a great all around saw lite and quick ! but you really can't beat the 670 for the bigger stuff !

/ Grrrrrr #20  
Love the pics. We heat with wood as well. Nothing like the feeling of security you have when you look at a stacked pile of firewood.

Glad you got your saw figured out. I run Stihls and they are finnicky about turning off the choke or else they flood.

Phil