Grubbing tongs

/ Grubbing tongs #11  
Gordon - Actually, I think you could make some pretty serviceable ones out of 1/2" plate. I'll have to measure them to be sure, but I think these things I bought are 1" thick plate. You might could break the cable with a dozer or something, but you wouldn't hurt the tongs themselves. I've never seen anything so over-built in my life. Of course, you could make two pairs out of 1/2" plate and weld them together...

I think, for the price, it's cheaper to buy them than make them. I'd rather spend my time making stuff I can't get that cheaply or at all. And I can vouch for them - they really work!

Mark

/ Grubbing tongs #12  
Not to be rude but how much did they cost? If they are 1" plate thats hard to beat. I've got some 1/4" plate steel in stock but would have to buy the 1/2 plate thought I had some left from a patch job last year. I looked today and I be darned if I could find it.
Gordon

/ Grubbing tongs #13  
Mark,

Thanks. I have seen something like that, but didn't know what it is called. They didn't have a cable just the fingers attached to two links with a grap hook in the center for hooking up a chain. I'll add these to my want list. Or maybe the need list.

Rowski

/ Grubbing tongs #14  
Gordon - $100. I'll measure them tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they're at least 1" thick. As I said before, I was very surprised they have an unconditional warranty on breakage - until I took them out of the box - then I understood.

Mark

/ Grubbing tongs #15  
Rowski - You seem to be one of my best customers! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I didn't buy them the first time I saw them because I was afraid I'd break them. Then I forgot where I'd seen them. Then, when someone on this board told me they were in the Cumberland General Store catalog, I saw they have an unconditional warranty on them. So I decided I didn't have too much to lose. And now that I have them, I'm rather rueful of all the time I spent doing it the hard way.

Mark

/ Grubbing tongs #16  
Mark,

To be a customer I must BUY something /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. Or maybe I just want my NH to be like your Kubota /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. I don't think it could or will EVER happen. In my line of work I'm always trying to get better parts and tools, basically fixing peoples car trouble and then dealing with the part manufacturers troubles. So when I see something that works I like to know a lot about it espeically why. If the tongs are 1" thick it would more than 45 hp to break!

Rowski

/ Grubbing tongs #17  
Rowski - The Cumberland catalog says "guaranteed not to break or side bend", if I remember correctly. It was bending sideways that I was worried about. Not anymore. I'll never bend these things. And if the cable does ever break, I've got some chain that'll fit on it that'll never break, either.

Mark

/ Grubbing tongs #18  
Mark,

How much do they weigh? I'm guessing 40ish LBS

Rowski

/ Grubbing tongs #19  
Rowski - I think the catalog listing said 27 pounds. At any rate, I'd guess around 30.

Mark