GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #1  

George Rausch

Tractor
CUB cadet GT-2550
I've replaced the starter, the solenoid, PTO switch, PTO clutch, ignition switch, both fuses, the relay, and the brake switch. Now the solenoid just goes click-click-click, the engine will not turn over nor start. Any ideas?
Thx.

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #2  
I've replaced the starter, the solenoid, PTO switch, PTO clutch, ignition switch, both fuses, the relay, and the brake switch. Now the solenoid just goes click-click-click, the engine will not turn over nor start. Any ideas?
Thx.

Load test the battery, remove and clean all battery cables (including the ground). Check the voltage getting to the starter solenoid when trying to start. Resistance in the safety switches and associated wiring can result in low voltage to the solenoid, causing a chattering solenoid.

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #3  
Had same situation a few months ago with ZD331. Checked everything. It was the battery.

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #4  
Jumper cable between the battery POS and the starter terminal will weed out just about everything you have tried.

My guess is battery or the starter relay. Even a new one can be high resistance.....

Check the thread on the B series Kubota for this very symptom.

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #5  
Are you able to turn the engine by hand?

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #6  
George, I know that you are frustrated and this has been dragging on for you. Reposting multiple threads will get you nowhere. Myself and others have posted some things to check out, yet from here we don't know if you have followed these troubleshooting thoughts or not. That would be a good place to start.

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click
Jumper cable between the battery POS and the starter terminal will weed out just about everything you have tried.

My guess is battery or the starter relay. Even a new one can be high resistance.....

Check the thread on the B series Kubota for this very symptom.
Thanks a great deal. I have a really dumb question; I know the battery POS terminalk, but where exactly is the starter terminal? Not sure i KNOW

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #8  
On your starter you likely have what they call a piggyback solenoid. If that is the case, the solenoid is mounted on starter itself. Your + lead goes to the starter lug direct and then when the key is turned, a smaller trigger wire (right next to it) should have 12 volts when the key is turned.
On models w/o this style, you have separate solenoid. The big lug on the starter is all there is. You could jump direct to the starter lug w/ a separate battery or the + lug in the tractor. It will likely spark- so make the last connection at the starter and not with fuel in the area to ignite.

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #9  
OK I looked up the starter for the CC GT2550. Here is a photo of it.
Starter for a CC GT2550.JPG

If you put a jumper from the battery positive post to the lower terminal on the start solenoid, the starter should spin. Make sure that the off/on/start/ switch is in the off position. You don't what the engine to start while doing this.

There maybe some sparks, don't panic. Also be careful no to touch the jumper cable to any of the starter or engine metal.

Richard

/ GT-2550 Goes Click-Click-Click #10  
When I do this, I put one jumper wire clamp on the starter, and a second jumper wire clamp on the battery + terminal, then "make" the connection with the two wire clamps at the other end of the wires.

Jumper cables come in two wire sets, right?

This way, nothing on the tractor suffers from arcing on contact.

Oh! My Fordson E27n is Positive ground, so I need to keep things straight there...;-)