Oil & Fuel GT 2554 fuel consumption?

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #1  

JSharp

Gold Member
Tractor
IH 404, Cub GT 2554
I'm just curious what kind of fuel consumpion others are seeing with their 2500 series tractors?

My '06 2554 will run the 2 1/2 gallon tank dry in just under 2 hours using it for heavy mowing. Is that about what others are seeing? It's the first Kohler engine I've owned and it certainly seems like it's using *plenty* of fuel...

TIA!

--
Jim

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #2  
With my 2544, 20hp/44", I get approx 1 acre or 1hr of mowing per gallon. 2.5 gal tank = 2.5 acres of mowing based on my application.

Joel

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption?
My grass was pretty heavy when I mowed earlier in the year. I ran dry a couple times in under 2 hours. I'll have to let it run out next time and see if it does any better with the current lighter grass.

I hope a couple others comment...

--
Jim

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #4  
On my 2544 I usually use a tank of fuel about every 2 Hrs. of steady mowing.

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #5  
That is about what I'm getting. I never get to run that long, only have a 1/2 acre, but figure in the 45 minutes it takes to cut my yard I'm using a little under a gallon. I usually squeak 3 cuts out of a full tank.

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #6  
18 HP Honda runs about a gallon an hour under regular mowing. If one thinks that's a lot of fuel, old Kohler KT17 used about two gallons for the same hour. 2.5 gals for 2 hours of heavy running does not sound bad at all.

-Fordlords-

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #7  
Yep, the 10hp kohler K series one lunger in our old JD 110 was a fuel hog as well. It had a real small under-hood mounted, 1 maybe 1.5gal tank. It didn't last too long, maybe an hour.

Joel

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption?
Thanks guys. Sounds like what I'm seeing is pretty common. I've never owned a GT of this size before so I just wasn't sure if it was normal. As it is the mower does such a nice job and is so fast compared to what I was using that it's certainly worth the the fuel costs.

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #9  
What you are getting does not sound out of line. I can mow approximately 2.5 acres without refueling on my cc '05 2554.

/ GT 2554 fuel consumption? #10  
JSharp said:
I'm just curious what kind of fuel consumpion others are seeing with their 2500 series tractors?

My '06 2554 will run the 2 1/2 gallon tank dry in just under 2 hours using it for heavy mowing. Is that about what others are seeing? It's the first Kohler engine I've owned and it certainly seems like it's using *plenty* of fuel...

TIA!

--
Jim

My first Kohler here I have a slt 1550 and its nickname is ""gas hog"""

this new one uses @ least 2 to 3 times more gas than my old mower white with 16 hp briggs in it