GT2544 Owners, Do you like It??

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #1  

gjjbmoore

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2542
I'm very close to ordering my new GT2544. Besides the excitement of owning such a fine machine, I'm also excited about not having to push mow my yard anymore.
Any hints or suggestions to better enjoy my new tractor?
Thanks for all your feedback. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #2  
Love my 2544 @ season #2 & ~40hrs. IMO- it's not as comfortable & roomy behind the wheel as a comparable Kubota, Simplicity or JD garden tractor, but it's a lot less money!

Joel

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Love my 2544 @ season #2 & ~40hrs. IMO- it's not as comfortable & roomy behind the wheel as a comparable Kubota, Simplicity or JD garden tractor, but it's a lot less money!

Joel )</font>

Ditto on Joel's comments. I'm only at 20 hrs., but just mowed the yard last night for the second time this year and thought to myself "****, that's a fine mowin' machine"!

I'm 6'0" and find the seating position just fine, but I would prefer the seat to be lower and farther back. Minor complaint, though.

What I *don't* like about the '06 models of the 2500 series is the hood design. I think it's f-ugly and cheap. Gone is all the screening that prevents the ingestion of chaff, grass and leaves into the blower screen of the engine. The '05 models have a real nice setup where the cooling air is fully 'filtered' before it gets to the engine.

IMHO, unless the rotating screen throws out all the stuff, that stuff is going to collect in the cooling fins and cause overheating problems. I about melted down an old Briggs push mower when I was a kid due to the fins all clogging up with junk.

Other than that, the 2500 series are fine machines.

Chris

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #4  
Bought our GT 2544 last fall and have 30 hours on it. Outside the deck wash system, which is a joke, it is a very good mower for the price and we have had no problems.

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #5  
I really like mine as well, compared to an equivalent JD model it is about 30-40% cheaper. I have no problems with the seating position at all, and I also like the old hood design better, but that new seat sure looks nice to me. The new steering would be great too, although I find that if I turn as tight as possible the cut isn't the greatest.
I had one warranty issue...a faulty hydrostatic pump, which was replaced under warranty, replaced the hydro filter and oil as well. It wouldn't stop normally and would coast to a stop, ~100' in either forward or reverse.
The only problem I have is that the deck gets clogged too easily, even cutting dry grass. I know the deck is easy to remove, but scrapping the deck makes a huge mess and is not that much fun..BUT it really does a nice job cutting the grass. When you fire the deck up it almost sounds like a airplane throttling up for take-off.

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It??
Thanks for all your replys. I'm still confused whether to get a LT1046, or go for the gusto, and get the GT2544? I'm having a hard time convincing my wife that I need a garden tractor for cutting 3/4 acre of grass. I do plan on pulling a utility cart full of mulch, dirt, and a couple of kids, and plowing out my long drive-way every winter. (We live in western PA.) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I'm looking at the long term. I want to keep this tractor for along time. It makes me wonder if the LT series tractors will hold up 15 years? Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I'm looking at the long term. I want to keep this tractor for along time. It makes me wonder if the LT series tractors will hold up 15 years? Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Get the 2500 series. The LT will probably hold up OK, but the 2500 series will hold up a lot better, especially for towing and plowing. I only have 0.85 acres or so, level and flat. But, I still bought the 2544. Overkill? Probably. Satisfaction? Priceless!

How's it go..."The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"? Not saying the 1000 series is poor quality, compared to the average Murray cr*p, but it's not a 2544, either.

Chris

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #8  
Chris, thats exactly what I was thinking...I have that quote on my wall in my office...right where all my customers can see it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #9  
Yep, if you plan to do any cart pulling or blade pushing, a minimum of a 2500 series is a must. The entry level HG hydro in the 1000 series wont cut it.

Joel

/ GT2544 Owners, Do you like It?? #10  
Unless price makes it totally prohibitive, get one of the GT 2500 or 3000 series. Don't worry that they will be, "Too big," as once you have it and use it you'll find that is not an issue at all, and will appreciate the finer features such as shaft drives and good horizontal V twin engines and heavy duty serviceable hydros, the things that make them what the LT's are not and capable of doing things LT's are not. If maintained right, I can easily see a 2500 or 3000 lasting 20+ years like the old CC GT's of the past easily did. With the LT series 1000's and 1500's, to be honest short of having cast iron front axles, they are not much different from your basic Murray or Craftsman design wise, and are your basic 10 year lawn tractors strictly for light work. IMHO the 2500 series are the value leaders as far as the CC tractor lineup goes, the 2544 being basically today's equal to the 1980 682 I use, and the size is a great fit for small acreage yards for those who want a machine that can do some heavier tasks and is built to last.
-Fordlords-