GT48DXLS...another new one first mowing time observations :)

/ GT48DXLS...another new one first mowing time observations :) #1  

TMR

Gold Member
After reading many of the comments as new owners took delivery and began to use the new Husqvarna GT48DXLS my dealer finally found one and I took delivery last Friday. First mowing was a quick mow of our cabin yard which took about one hour...I primarily was pleased except for some scalping which I first attributed to the 48" deck as I previously had used a 42" deck. Turns out I had not adjusted the guide wheels which I believe solved that problem.

Yesterday I mowed a portion of a field that I mow 2-3 times per year. The field is part of the reason I wanted a strong GT with a strong transaxle, engine and good/great grass clipping "exit". My hour to 1 1/2 mowing in the filed with grass/weed/small brush from 8" high to some brush growth about 2' tall was certainly a good test of the new mower. It is a BEAST! It handled a pretty good chunk of the filed with almost zero bogging down and threw the clippings/cuttings of what ever I mowed over a long distance. Also did not clog at all! The new guide wheel setting kept it from scalping except when I purposely attacked an ant hill or two. One small complaint is the throttle is located so it slows when I occasionally went under hanging brush...which happens fairly often as I was cutting the edge of the field.

Some summary observations...

1) I wore ear plugs and head set protection as I always do and noise was not an issue. Engine appears less noisy than the deck when engaged. No problem.

2) Not sure I like the arm rests...time will tell.

3) Seems not to use excess fuel...still on first fill.

4) I did get stuck with the deck in some mud on right side with the deck already on full height. I went to get my truck to pull it out but then I remembered the rear locking axle. Returned and engaged the locker and it came right out! I still think I may see if chains fit but I will use it longer to decide. Locking Diff...Great feature and one of my "must haves" when shopping for it. Note...also did not want an "auto" locking diff.

5) LOVE the key setting so it allows deck to continue to operate in reverse...will need to learn to set it there initially because each time I stopped I set in the wrong place until the first time I backed up... :)

6) Wish it had a brush guard...in my mind I thought it did??? Will need something with my use.

7) Little concerned about how much harder to work under deck...blades/belts/spindles as I have a history of need to replace/repair pretty often. It looks heavy. May need to get a quality lift and support system.

Well, I will add to my comments as I get more hours on it. BTW...I definitely use/abuse the tractor and felt I needed "Sturdy" in a big way. I probably would have jumped to a SCUT or an JD X7xx but I mow in too tight areas and was already nervous about upsizing to a 48" deck with the larger wheels but I think this size will work OK. So far I really believe that my choices other than this "limited edition" model would have been a JD X590 or the equivalent in one of the other couple of lines that still build on the heavy/sturdy transaxles...and would have cost at lest 2X the $3K I paid for the GT48DXLS.

BTW...dealer (who is new owner of the business) had a hard time getting one but his rep said they are going to build more...FWIW?

BTW...is there a "manual"? The package appears to have very basic info...along with a Kawasaki engine manual. No specific operating manual for this model???

Thanks...TMR

/ GT48DXLS...another new one first mowing time observations :)
Update..well I found out it is not infallible :)

I have a low spot where I mow a bit into the brush and the heavy rain we have received this spring caused the front tires to sink just enough to hank up the deck a little bit. When I put into diff lock and tried to back out the rear tires spun just a bit and immediately plugged up with slick mud. Diff lock does not help with front tires and deck low to ground and rear tires slick as grease. Had to pull my truck to back yard and pull out...just a little tug.

I believe the deck contact with the ground (on highest setting) was the primary culprit...assisted by the rear tires slicking up with mud. I guess this is why I have had rear wheel weights and chains full-time on my rear tires for the last 25+ years. The deck gets me in trouble at a number of places on my property and the chains get me through.

Not sure there is space for chains...both the fenders and the clearance from the deck look suspect...anyone considered chains??

Could I go to a moderately smaller rear tire set-up...may 1" smaller??

Portions of my property are difficult to get my truck to if I need to tow out.

Guess this is not the tractor fault :) TMR

/ GT48DXLS...another new one first mowing time observations :) #3  
Two Harbors!!! My spouse is from Ely. We moved out of Duluth in 1996.

Thanks for the gt48xls husqvarna review. I know the spinning tire dilemma. I'm looking for a awd mower......

Two Harbors!!! My spouse is from Ely. We move out of Duluth in 1996.

Thanks for the gt48xls husqvarna review. I know the spinning tire dilemma. I'm looking for a awd mower......

I would like an AWD also...I will give the GT48DXLS a good try this season and see how it performs. I really like the JDX7xx series w/liquid cooling and full-time AWD (I believe full time?)...but move me up another large size class. I will turn 70 this year and pretty much take the approach I will buy whatever works better for me at this point :) Like the GT48DXLS features and the $3K price seems like a very solid value. I will see how it does my "tasks". I do think I want to try to get rear wheel weights and chains on it :) TMR

P.S. I think getting stuck this quickly supports the thought of separate mower as I am also looking for a tractor to work on my land and trails, etc. I do not think I want to try and take a deck off and on once a week...and I am now adequately reminded that the deck will get you hung up when off road working in the woods. TMR

P.P.S. Trust you will be getting a heavy duty snow blower up where you are :) TMR

/ GT48DXLS...another new one first mowing time observations :) #5  
I may start a new thread asking about awd mower/tractors. Your GT48DXLS is a bit wider than what's idea for our little, yet overly hilly yard.

We've used Honda blowers (walk behind) for the past 15 or so years. Gosh they are well built.

I may start a new thread asking about awd mower/tractors. Your GT48DXLS is a bit wider than what's idea for our little, yet overly hilly yard.

We've used Honda blowers (walk behind) for the past 15 or so years. Gosh they are well built.

I also have enjoyed a narrower mower...42" deck...for many years. Problem is as you add features and strength to the mower most mfgs. do not offer with a 42" deck...best you normally find is 48"...sometimes even wider minimum. When you add AWD I am not sure what might be available. I will follow you thread if you post one :) TMR

/ GT48DXLS...another new one first mowing time observations :) #8  
Headlights are not LED. I had to verify before posting - I don't mow at night.

Last edited: