GT52xls

/ GT52xls #1  

sruman

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910
Tractor transmission is slipping big time. The hotter it gets the worse the slippage, to the point it won't move at all. Here's what I know:
80 hrs on the tractor (bought it new).
Hilly terrain, that I'm mowing.
The colder the temp and engine/trans, the better it seems to operate.
Also seems to be working "fair" but after I shut down to grab a beer, and fire back up, it is much worse ( withing a few minutes).
Hydro Gear tranny.

Thoughts? Questions?

/ GT52xls #2  
How about your drive belt? It may have a lot of wear on it allowing slippage. I also have a GTH52 with 130 hours on it and had to change the drive belt at 100 hours. Nearly all of my mowing with that mower is on steep pond banks or in rough field weeds.

...wouldn't hurt to look at that drive belt for wear.

/ GT52xls #3  
I also have the same mower tractor, I changed the hydro oil at reccomended interval at 50hr,s I called Tuff Torq to make sure. So far no problems it,s a real job You have to remove the transaxle to change oil use full synthetic 5W50 the filler hole is under the fan pulley held by one bolt. The mower is a gt52xlsi

/ GT52xls #4  
Sorry about the model mix up, I would imagine hydro gear has the about the same break in oil change interval, The reason I mentioned the oil change I had a simplicity with a K46 that started to lose power after heating up, I changed the hydro oil and it pretty much cleared up the problem. Not at all saying it,s not the belt.

/ GT52xls #5  
Tractor transmission is slipping big time. The hotter it gets the worse the slippage, to the point it won't move at all. Here's what I know:
80 hrs on the tractor (bought it new).
Hilly terrain, that I'm mowing.
The colder the temp and engine/trans, the better it seems to operate.
Also seems to be working "fair" but after I shut down to grab a beer, and fire back up, it is much worse ( withing a few minutes).
Hydro Gear tranny.

Thoughts? Questions?

I thought you had me 'snake bit' after your message about the transmission seemingly slipping. Today I was mowing uphill on one side of our dam, about a 25* slope. Mower just barely creeping up. My first thought was about your problem...

Then after a few runs up the bank I went back and looked and discovered that those ATV all terrain tires on back were actually turning and digging into the wet dam bank until they got traction :)

All of my happiness later turned sour though. I got the GTH26V52LS hung up on a tree root with one wheel off the ground. Needless to say, my NON-locking differential older GTH just sat there looking stupid, and not going anywhere. I had to walk back a half mile to the house and get my Honda SxS with a winch to come drag the Husqvarna out. I guess that'll teach me that just because you 'can' cut down small trees with it doesn't mean that you 'should'. Still, I sure envy you guys that bought the new model with the locking rear end.

/ GT52xls #6  
It,s a tradeoff I got the electric locking K66 diff. but I also have the oil burning 24HP Briggs just add 4oz. per acre. Been like that since new, Dealer says engine is A-OK.

/ GT52xls
Thanks for the help. I did replace the drive belt, and it seemed to help for a bit. Also replaced the idler and v pulley while I was at it.
Thank seemed to help for a little bit, but now I'm back to square one. Just after a few hours of mowing (12-15) I'm experiencing the same issues. I also noticed that the belt seems to be loose even in drive. I'm considering getting and 80" belt, vs. the 80.5 that manufacturer specs calls for.
I've also tried to pull up on the brake pedal to increase the tension on the belt, and that does seems to have help.

Question: Is there any way to adjust the drive belt tension, or know how much tension is needed to operate properly? Has anyone had any luck using a slightly smaller belt ?

/ GT52xls #8  
Though no tension adjustment, you will want to check above the flat plate on the bottom of the frame behind the engine for debris. These Husqvarnas like to kick grass above the plate. What happens is your clutch pedal doesn't fully retract- so it is like riding the clutch. What is the belt part number from under the hood?

/ GT52xls
The drive belt is 532 42 0807. I'll check the plate, although I'm sure it's fine.

Thanks. Good point to at least validate.

/ GT52xls #10  
I do not not if You have the fabricated 52" deck if so there is a eye bolt on the left side when Your setting on it put a screw driver in the eye part and tighten the nut it puts more tension on the deck belt.