Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked.

/ Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked. #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So, I am stupid.

So yesterday I moved my tractor, without a gas tank, over to the pressure wash area. I did this by putting the intake and return line into a bucket of diesel and resting the battery and bucket on top of the pumps. It all went smashingly well.

IMG_3553.jpg

So I took the battery out, and the bucket of diesel, and put plugs on the ends of the hoses and got to pressure washing. Today, this evening I decided to move it. Unplugged the intake hose, put both the intake and the return back into the diesel and put the battery in and started it up. Well, kinda. Clouds of black smoke and the engine never really caught. OK, called my diesel mechanic friend.. He says "black smoke, too much fuel, not enough air) so we went after the air filter and then looked at the fuel pump.. Tried and tried to turn it over, nothing but black smoke.

As I hang it up for the evening, frustrated that I may have a timing belt issue again, I pull the hoses out of the bucket and see the plug on the end of the return line. #)#)(^%&!Q@)__)^)_*(& Call my mechanic back, he says let it sit overnight. Probably have pressurize the injectors open and have diesel in the engine.

So tomorrow, we will see how it goes.

/ Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked. #2  
BEFORE you try to start it again, check your oil and see how high it is now. The unburnt diesel must go somewhere and since it wont evaporate to readily it will go down into the oil pan.

/ Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked. #3  
You should be fine. I'd disconnect the engine and crank it by hand or briefly with the starter just to make sure it isn't locked, but I doubt it since it was turning over.

Reconnect the engine and you should be ready to go. The injectors get pressurized in the first revolution or so, so you should be good. With any luck, the back pressure didn't dislodge anything.

All the best,

Peter

/ Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked.
And the bonus? I destroyed my fuel pump. Thankfully I had the old one from the belt breaking left over. Deutz said they would replace my other as it was under warranty. Wil lthe fun ever stop?

/ Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked. #5  
The fun NEVER stops!!!

Live and learn. Only kick yourself once. :)

/ Guess what happens when your return diesel line is blocked. #6  
Well, thanks for all the post! Hopefully we'll all learn from you. That sounded like it would be an easy thing to overlook.