Guild of Attachments

/ Guild of Attachments #11  
wyo, you're doing the same thing I did/still do. Once you build the hitch, you can build all kinds of tools off of a piece of 2x2 tubing to work out of it. You're getting the job done and not spending anything compared to buying factory made implements. For my plow like you made I took 1 cultivator leg off of a set in the bone yard and welded it to a piece of tubing, it has the angle adjustment. I took 4 teeth out of my boxblade like you have there and put them in a piece of 4" tubing, cut the slots and made the pin loops just like in the box blade for what I call my root rake or sub soiler. I have a single tooth that I plan to do basically like you did to run water/electric lines. If a man has a welder, building his tools is very thrifty and some of mine is custom made just to my liking and never seen anything like them. I like to take old equipment in the bone yard to get my parts and rig the correct hookup out of my hitch to get what I need. Every time I think I'm going to buy a piece ready made the price usually scares me enough to get my mind working and build it.

/ Guild of Attachments
Thanks for the replies.

I wish there were somewhere here that I could rent from but there is not. I don't think there is enough owner density here as well to do some sort of Co-Op. I think I will just have to keep trying to aquire more attachements as I go along. If there is anyone on this forum located in and around the greater Saint John, NB area who would be interested in some attachment swapping, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

/ Guild of Attachments #15  
short game, it only takes a short piece of 2" tubing to get out of your hitch and then you can let your imagination take over. I have 2x2 tubing and an 8' stick of 2x2 solid stock. If it's going to take tough treatment I use the solid.

/ Guild of Attachments #16  
Machinery rings or "pools" like this are common in other countries . I used to work for one , Never knew where i'd be working ....just match up closest tractor / attachment and driver most suitable for the job . Saying that i would never put my equipment into one after seeing how some of it came back .

/ Guild of Attachments #17  
I thought a "Guild of Attachments" was a great idea too when I got my tractor. On paper it makes a lot of sense. Friends had offered to lend me implements prior to my purchase, and I was excited to take them up on it. When it came right down to it they all started to shuffle their feet because they really didn't want to lend the stuff out for fear of what could happen. Mind you, I have a reputation for leaving things in better shape then when I got them, but that didn't really matter. So rather than push an uncomfortable situation, I have found a lot of good deals on pre-owned pieces to get my work done. What I have learned is that most tractoring folk feel the same way about their equipment. In hind sight I can understand why. No one wants to see their investment come back bent up or broken, and it's a lot easier to blame yourself when something does go wrong. Now I am much more apt to take my tractor and attachments over to help someone with me in the seat then I would be to just lend it out for the weekend. Funny how my perspective has changed....

/ Guild of Attachments #18  
For some things, perhaps it is easy to just drive your own tractor over to the neighbor's house.

For the last several years, I've been driving my tractor over to the neighbor's house to till their garden. So far I've been happy to spend a half hour or so just tilling. Now, they don't have a full-sized tractor, but in some situations it may be possible to just trade tractor time, for tractor time, within reason.

A little mowing here, tilling there, blade work, and etc.

I suppose someone will always be left holding the short straw :yuck: