Gun RUST....caused by coverings????

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #11  
Most of us simply can't identify with your quandary and thus cannot offer help. I too have an 1100 and some other nice guns, but I do no more than take reasonable care and not abuse them. My guns have some scratches on them and some bluing worn off, but it is not something about which I worry. I like my pickup too, but don't obsess over a scratch or dent after the first couple anyway.

They are simply nice things I use for enjoyment and not to admire.

My son takes most of his and paints camo on them, when they get scratched, he paints them again, his sniper rifle cost north of five grand, but it doesn't escape scratches etc.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #12  
I've used the McNett camo wrap on some rifles for varying terrain.

I would not leave it in place for extended periods. It's a rubbery gauze that can hold moister and potentially harm your finish.

I'm also a big fan of storing my guns with a light coat of break free "Collector" (not a lube or cleaner) on them and inside the bores. It's one of the best long term protect ants and won't harm your wood.

I'd get rid of the velcro strap too and get some silicone treated gunsocks, Cabela's sells them in 6 packs.

Last edited:
   / Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #13  
If you really want to camo the thing the best thing I have fount is the Camo Vet wrap at Tractor Supply. Will it rust under it? Probably if you get it wet, but the stuff is cheap just remove it and give the gun a good oiling and redo it. The nice thing about this stuff is it does not have any glue on it it just sticks to itsself and doesn't leave any residue on the gun like some of the camo tapes I have seen. You could also buy a set of Kane's gun chaps they are tuff and I believe they zip on when you come in from hunting just take them off. The vet wrap is a lot cheaper though

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #14  
Camo tape can and will hold moisture damaging the finish underneath even to the point of pitting. I will not wrap my shotguns in the stuff.